• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Gear and Gadgets: Questions on choice of the tool for the job and the lke! Remember iView Media PRO? free until tomorrow

One of my favorite little programs has, for long time, been iView Media PRO. I can't remember when I purchased it and how much I paid for it, and I have not even upgrade from 2002's 1.2.7.

For those of you that are not familiar with iView, it is an asset management program that does one basic task simply and well: organize your images (and video) files.

Two examples of the simplicity and usefulness of iView are: 1) you drag any folder to the program's icon, an it will make a catalogue of all images inside, 8,000 images, for example.. no problem, and no matter how deep they are inside folders. 2) I is very respectful of your files. The program makes a file with the thumbnails and other information that you can save independently and use to manage the files.

iView was purchased by Microsoft and changed the name to Expression Media, and now Phase One acquired it and is now offering for free to any one with a Capture One KEY.

I just got my copy of it with a brand new Expression Media 2 key code for $0 Danish Krone !

I was using it today since I just came back form a 1,500km tour of the Bolivian high plain.

iView is --happily-- exactly all there, only that more capable and elaborate than in the past.

So, if you own a copy of Capure One I suggest you get a free copy of this program --before the deadline of June 30th--

[again: I have no relation with PhaseOne other than being a loyal user of hardware and software manufactured by them, no promotion on my part, just a heads up for free good stuff to friends here]

Ruben Alfu

Congratulations for your upgrade Leo! and thanks for the tip, even when I don't qualify for the promo, I have to say I've been using iView Media Pro for 3 or 4 years, simply love it.

I think that today -JUNE 30TH-- is the last day to save for people that already have C1. You have to use your credit card and do the procedure of charging, but the amount is $0 and $0 tax.

Since my last upgrade was fine for the last 8 years, it is a good "investment".

I read about Phase One buying Expression Media but did not know it was the old iView until this week when I felt curious --mostly about Phase One, and not so much about a MS product--.

I am also consolidating my work flow to Capture One PRO for the P25 back and my Canon G11+ the 5D2 (I will pick that up in NY in JULY)

So I think that most workflow can be done using C1 and Expression Media --HATE THE NAME--

Hard Drives are getting larger and cataloging and finding files more difficult than before (but easier than finding a particular slide among a trunk full of plastic slide boxes, remember that?)

If anyone is using EM2 we can exchange tips about it?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I think that today -JUNE 30TH-- is the last day to save for people that already have C1. You have to use your credit card and do the procedure of charging, but the amount is $0 and $0 tax.

Since my last upgrade was fine for the last 8 years, it is a good "investment".
Hi Leonardo,

Thanks for the reminder. I too was puzzled about the need for one's credit card info but it's a secure https site and I trust them. After you agree to pay $0.0 they warn you 3 times in red letters that the money will be withdrawn from the credit card account in Danish Kroners. That's an interesting challenge. I guess they chill the $0.00 to minus 273 degrees Kelvin is to make sure that no atoms are moving and the dollar doesn't have a burst rate of value change. Anyway the Danes are careful and the transaction went though.

Now I already have several copies of Microsoft Expression Media, actually about 7 or 8 so that everyone who works with my images can do so via catalogs. What we miss is scheme for consolidating catalogs and for permissions for access for different folk. Perhaps these features exist, but I have not found them. This catalog will allow me to legally have one for my family separate from work use. I like to be licensed well just in case I need support and therefore don't have to go through IT of work.

I use catalogs containing 1000-20,000 images. I often make a new catalog for a new project. That way things work much faster. iview/Expression can import images from other catalogs, so one can consolidate any number of catalogs or else export files to a new location and make a new catalog from that.

One can edit within Expression but I don't as I have it set up to open a file in either Photoshop IV or else Capture One. Hopefully, Phase One will integrate the two porgrams further.

Asher

Last edited:
Asher, I see that you are a master of EM2 -or MEM2.

I am laughing out loud with your experience with the Krone and the danish way of doing things. I have very good friends from that windy nation and they are all fantastic people.

I have to come back to your post of things you can do with it because you lost me and cached my attention at the same time...

best
Leonardo