• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

when art meets architecture

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi

Herzog & de Meuron are a worldfamous duo of architects.
They did the renovation of the Unterlindenmuseum in Colmar, France.
There I found this fascinating picture looking up a spiral staircase and pushed it with a little help of Alienskin:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi

There I found this fascinating picture looking up a spiral staircase:

Wolfgang,

This is so handsome and sensuous!

First I thought it was a Mobius sculpture but then it might be an issue going upstairs as one would end up upside down!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Wolfgang,

Hi

There I found this fascinating picture looking up a spiral staircase and pushed it with a little help of Alienskin:

What a wondrous photo!

It reminds us that the most important component of a camera setup is the photographer's vision!

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi

thank you for your kind remarks ... yep, Moebius would be problematic ... :))
What's so fascinating on their work (especially in Colmar) is the organic expression in many aspects of the building, the playing with the light(s) ...
For example the staircases do invite you to touch them, to enjoy the forms and surfaces with your senses ... it is really overwhelming in some way.

I posted it already but want to show it again: the great spiral in a calyotype version

Fibunacci by Wolfgang Plattner, on Flickr

Asher Kelman

Hi

What's so fascinating on their work (especially in Colmar) is the organic expression in many aspects of the building, the playing with the light(s) ...
For example the staircases do invite you to touch them, to enjoy the forms and surfaces with your senses ... it is really overwhelming in some way.

I posted it already but want to show it again: the great spiral in a calyotype version

This is so beautiful, smooth, natural, soothing and impressive.

Where is this located so I can see other pictures of it and read about its construction.

Still, I have doubts that this, (Fibonacci), spiral can be used a lot in architecture as the rate of expansion of the spiral quickly creates giant voids of decreasing interest. Here, in this picture, the width of the stairs allows insertion of mass and so it works extraordinarily well!

Asher

Hi

another one that is amazingly beautiful. I just want to stretch my hands and touch! :) Maggie

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher

this Museum is located in Colmar, Alsace/France: Musee Unterlinden

some pictures you may find here in my gallery:
http://litta5.zenfolio.com/p420190306 (start at picture Nr. 37)

I wish I had known when I was nearby, in the village of Luttenbach!

But that was some 60 years ago and it I now learn that the cast concrete spiral staircase is part of the brilliant renovations, just completed in 2015 turning an historical landmark and adjacent convent into a spectacularly modern exhibition space still in synergy with its medieval past and style.

Asher