• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Show me the beef!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Dear Asher,

Oh, you have been a bad, bad boy!

Best regards,

Doug

I thought you'd written that I'd had a bad, bad, day, but then realized I had the wrong glasses on! Actually, Doug, I'm having some of the best times of my life but totally noble, well at least civil!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Forum_P02589-01-C1-S600.jpg

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Here I am agreeing with Fahim again. I might need to see my psych for some therapy.
The problem is that, once again I'm lost in the woods again. If my interests don't move towards the technical stuff and I really couldn't care less if someone took a shot with an f:1.2 whatever or had an 8X10 camera made of fine polished oak, what do I talk about?
If the image can speak for itself, or with a little help from its maker as most seem to do here, then surely the tech stuff is superfluous or should simply be placed in a separate compartment with the dirty magazines and drugs.

Take this simple shot.

_D3S2081 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

I don't remember what I used. I dont bother with what the exif data says. The end result id what I want to know about. I have nothing to say about sharpness, DoF, clarity, pixels, diffraction or what colour my camera is. Thats not important. If I'm happy with the image, then all other factors become unimportant. Could I have taken it better with another camera or lens? Absolutely NOT! Did I choose the camera and lens combination with this shot in mind. Only marginally, since I was 12000km from home and had only one camera and one lens with me. Was it the best camera for the job. ABSOLUTELY, because it was the one I had with me at the time.

Don't tell me what you have to take photos with. Show me what you do with it. Talk to me about growing old and looking into the fog with hope in your heart and fish and chips on your lap, with someone warm next to you or not, and feeling the chill of winter against those aching bone, and how you reflect on a life so short and what you might have done with it if you had another chance.
I'm sorry, Fahim, if its not quite on the track but I think it might be close.
I'm also sorry for being such a dickhead to you. Life is too short to create enemies.
Peace be with you and your family.
I just prefer lamb, is all.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Doug Kerr;147208 [CENTER said:
]http://dougkerr.net/images/Doug/Forum_P02589-01-C1-S600.jpg[/img[/CENTER]][/QUOTE]

Your moustache isn't quite even, Doug. It needs to go a little to your left for a perfect composition

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Take this simple shot.................

I don't remember what I used. I dont bother with what the exif data says. The end result id what I want to know about. ..............

Exactly as it should be, Tom, photography at it's best, as it's here, doesn't demand we know any details, except that we appreciate the experience. Thanks for this great image. Here, the folk on the benches and the mist in the distance make the picture. There's a thoughtful atmosphere of contemplation as if time is suspended. It might have been different take by anyone else, but that's not important. You've delivered the lamb, juice and all the fixings!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Take this simple shot.

Don't tell me what you have to take photos with. Show me what you do with it. Talk to me about growing old and looking into the fog with hope in your heart and fish and chips on your lap, with someone warm next to you or not, and feeling the chill of winter against those aching bone, and how you reflect on a life so short and what you might have done with it if you had another chance.

Now that is what I am talking about.

p.s. nothing to with cattle or amino acids. And Tom, that you are a dick head goes without saying. But then again, one can't have it all I guess.

Regards to you and yours too.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
These are research animals from the local CSIRO farm. They have been trained to stare at photographers. The blue tags indicates their IQ. Chances are, their IQ is far greater than any photographer who is stupid enough to negotiate an electrified, barbed wire fence to get a photo.
These hybrids are destined for great things. A life of green pastures, endless sex and further training. Run our has it they will have no carbon foot print. They will fart Channel #5.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Tom,

These cows are very cute and smell very nice, but the other one in your flickr photostream is just exquisite.

5566938991_5c002c1a23_b.jpg

Photo by Tom Dinning

I find a lot of beef into two sayings…
1. "I don't paint anymore what I can create as a photograph" …Man Ray.
2. "A great photographer is made by the ability to vision the final photograph before he will take it" …H.C.Bresson.

I Also suggest the book: "An Ansel Adams guide: Basic Techniques of photography" Chapter:5 Visualisation: The art of seeing a photograph.

All of them suggest the same thing…

fahim mohammed

Fahim,

My apologies for not posting examples as you requested. It's my intent, but I I've been so busy! I have another big shoot tomorrow and then I'll get examples.

Asher

I remember an old song..by an Aussie no less, Roger Whittaker...' Everybody talks about a new world in the morning......' Seems morning and tomorrow never comes.

Don't know why I am reminded of this song.