• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Stagnant Pool Piffle

Leaves are mostly off the trees in the Midwest of the US, and while recent light rains haven't broken this year's severe drought, they have managed to fill a few of the pothole pools at the Illinois River valley canyons. So, leaves fall and then just steep into a tannin-rich tea. Nothing exceptional about this, but it does tend to stink a bit.

original.jpg

Deciduous Menagerie​

A sip of the tea might have fortified the old gut biota, but couldn't summon up the courage to give it a go.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Leaves are mostly off the trees in the Midwest of the US, and while recent light rains haven't broken this year's severe drought, they have managed to fill a few of the pothole pools at the Illinois River valley canyons. So, leaves fall and then just steep into a tannin-rich tea. Nothing exceptional about this, but it does tend to stink a bit.

original.jpg

Deciduous Menagerie​

A sip of the tea might have fortified the old gut biota, but couldn't summon up the courage to give it a go.

...or give you a dose of giardiasis, Tom.

I searched for any sign of resemblance to someone famous but all I can see are leaves. This troubles me somewhat since I fear you have failed as an artist and must remain always, just a good photographer.
My only question is, did you collect the leaves from all over the Mid West of the US to set this photo up or is the pot hole pool a particularly significant collecting point in the mid west?

Love the photo, by the way.
Cheers
Tom

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Leaves are mostly off the trees in the Midwest of the US, and while recent light rains haven't broken this year's severe drought, they have managed to fill a few of the pothole pools at the Illinois River valley canyons. So, leaves fall and then just steep into a tannin-rich tea. Nothing exceptional about this, but it does tend to stink a bit. A sip of the tea might have fortified the old gut biota, but couldn't summon up the courage to give it a go.

original.jpg

Deciduous Menagerie​

Tom,

I love the way the leaves have so many varied colors and surfaces. There's a good sense of the space between leaves. some got dried before they fell, others ripped off by winds perhaps. color change depends on the weather in the growing season. anyway, these are beautiful.

Great piffle!

Asher

Hi Tom, yeah, I looked at this one upside down, sideways and reverse, but couldn't conjure up any sort of visage. There are some days when you gots the old mojo, and some days when you don't. Thought I saw a squirrel that looked like Richard Nixon early in the day, but that happens all the time so I didn't pull the camera out of the bag. Thanks for taking a gander and commenting.

Hey Asher, thank you as well for looking and commenting.

The pool was in a canyon about 70 feet deep. There is nothing but forest at ground level, so autumn leaves fall, get tossed by the wind, and then fall into the canyon where they will stay until heavy rain or snow melt eventually charges up the watershed. It happens every year with minor variations on the theme. The cast of characters remains fairly constant however: hickory, oak, maple with various shrubs and stuff with supporting roles. This cycle is true piffle, but it is reliable year after year. and thus oddly reassuring.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I hope we get to see more of such work. Thanks again for sharing your work, Tom!

Piffle can be beautiful!

Asher

Antonio Correia

This beautiful image reminds me some I have done a couple of years ago where the water was more present than here.
Sometimes, this kind of images when correctly worked, return nice results in B&W.
The color pallette in this image is excellent ! It results very well in color :)

Well hello, Jarmo! Thank you for looking and taking time to comment. Hope all is well with you and that you are having a great summer. The days will soon begin to get shorter, even in your neighborhood.

Jarmo Juntunen

Thanks Tom. We've been lucky this year, I guess, having had two summers so far. We had our first summer in May. Then we had a June that was nothing short of a typical late Autumn period up here, hales, rain and +10 C on a warm day. You can already guess when I had my summer vacation. Now it's summer again with temps up to +30.

Hope you're doing well!