• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Uv filter

StuartRae

Hi Anthony,

The filter has a 52mm thread. What about your lenses? If they also have a 52mm thread the filter fits, if not it doesn't. I could look it up, but then so can you.

Best wishes,

Stuart

Anthony Reilly

Hi Stuart, i never thought about looking it up to be honest but i have just looked it up on a website (for the Nikon 18-55mm lens) and it says 'Thread Size - 52mm, rotates on focus' so i'm guessing it will fit ? And its 58mm for the sigma lens :(

StuartRae

Hi Anthony,
Spot on! Don't be misled when it says the filter is for the Nikon camera. Any 52mm filter will fit your lens, and I suggest you get the best you can afford or it will cause more problems than it cures. Personally I prefer not to have anything interfering with the lens if at all possible. A lens hood will provide protection for the front element and I replace the lens cap when I'm not using the camera for a while.
As for your Sigma, just look for a 58mm filter.

Regards,

Stuart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Anthony,

To me, the main use of a UV filter is to protect it in a dusty environment or at the beach. I almost never use a filter for any serious work unless I need to use a wide aperture on a LF camera with fast film, then it's a neutral density filter.

OTOH, if one shoots Cibachrome, (meaning you have a stock in your refrigerator), then one has to color correct the light and then a UV filter and decamired filters are needed .... and a color meter.

Here's a great source for information of uses of filters. I'd bet that a neutral density filter would come in handy if you like to shoot at wide aperture on bright days or if you want to get that oft-desired "milky look" when streams, waves and waterfalls are captured at a slow shutter speed.

Asher

Anthony Reilly

Yes Asher i plan on taking some shots while down on the beach and to Stuart i do the same, i put the lens hood back on the lens when i'm not using it i wouldn't leave the filter on all the time. Thanks Guys. Have any of you got any pictures from using a Uv filter by any chance ?

Cheers, Ant

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes Asher i plan on taking some shots while down on the beach and to Stuart i do the same, i put the lens hood back on the lens when i'm not using it i wouldn't leave the filter on all the time. Thanks Guys. Have any of you got any pictures from using a Uv filter by any chance ?

Cheers, Ant

Anthony,

Likely there are many pictures I've taken with the UV filter on but I do not record when it was used. Almost always it was merely to protect the lens from dirty/sandy consitions!

Asher