• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fence Row

Fences have divided mine from yours for centuries. They are usually very important for the owners of rural property, and typically consist of simple things such as posts, wire, and maybe a sign or two. Once established, however, they are often allowed to fall into disrepair in the Midwestern US and elsewhere. Fences are everywhere, but they are seldom noticed.

original.jpg

Franklin Township​

There's nothing noteworthy going on here, of course. The intention was to illustrate a sense of place with a bit of old overgrown fence.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fences have divided mine from yours for centuries. They are usually very important for the owners of rural property, and typically consist of simple things such as posts, wire, and maybe a sign or two. Once established, however, they are often allowed to fall into disrepair in the Midwestern US and elsewhere. Fences are everywhere, but they are seldom noticed.

original.jpg

Franklin Township​

There's nothing noteworthy going on here, of course. The intention was to illustrate a sense of place with a bit of old overgrown fence.

Tom,

The title is perfect! Of course, without it, the detail of the fence would eventually be noticed. One would ask why were those posts included and in the end, perhaps a few of us would consider that this picture was about that. Thanks for sharing this picture and the concept of fences.

Asher

Thanks for looking and also for your thoughtful comments, Asher.

It is almost impossible to view the rural Midwest landscape without fences being in sight. They are not usually noticed, however, and I reckon this might make them a photography subject worth exploring.

original.jpg

Perimeter Road

Another example taken a few weeks ago. The fence in this instance consists of barbed wire with angle iron and very old osage orange wood posts.

Same lens (90mm TS-E) was used for this pano.

Mark Hampton

Thanks for looking and also for your thoughtful comments, Asher.

It is almost impossible to view the rural Midwest landscape without fences being in sight. They are not usually noticed, however, and I reckon this might make them a photography subject worth exploring.

original.jpg

Perimeter Road

Another example taken a few weeks ago. The fence in this instance consists of barbed wire with angle iron and very old osage orange wood posts.

Same lens (90mm TS-E) was used for this pano.

It's such a beautiful lens tom !

I have been sketching oot some work based around the same sort of themes - but in a town and a marginal spaces - the fence is used to stop people and creates an enviroment that has become over grown. strewen with detrtus.

as ever your work shows a patience and balance.

cheers

Ruben Alfu

Hi Tom,

That image of a fallen (or somehow bended) tree in "Franklin Township" is quite dramatic, it looks as if it was cut from the other tree. In "Perimeter Road" I like how the trees, the road, and the horizon converge in a point pleasant to the eye. This kind of landscapes have their charm, I've done a few bad attempts to similar themes in Colorado, easy to think that it's easy.

Regards,

Ruben

Ah, thank you Mark and Ruben!

At the risk of belaboring the subject, I'd like to offer one last observation about rural fences: they work as unintended habitat for native wildlife. Modern agribusiness is an honest and noble endeavor, and it makes affordable food possible. However, the vast fields of row crop monoculture create what are essentially deserts in what used to be grassland prairies. The remaining wildlife is forced to the margins, fence lines in this case.

original.jpg

Trees and Silos​

Same lens as previous, three frames stitched. The morning sun had just cleared the horizon out of frame to the left, so the scene is mostly back lit. The trees exist along the fence line, as usual.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Thanks for starting this thread off, Tom. I've been in love with fence lines since I caught my trousers in some barbed wire when I was a kid. It got me some attention from a really good looking girl.

If there's a fence in sight it's in my sights.

Love yours by the way.

Here's some you might like to climb over.

_D3S9122 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

_D3S9111 by tom.dinning, on Flickr

I like both of your photos, Tom. Thank you for sharing. Agree with Ben about preferring the second of the two. The very subtle colors in that one are quite striking.