• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Reflections in a shop window

Cem_Usakligil

Hi All,

Inspired by previous discussions about reflections and abstract forms in photography, I have done some shooting this afternoon in Antwerp, Belgium. In a district/quarter where there are many antique shops to be found, I have taken some interesting pictures of shop windows. This following picture shows a chandelier in a shop and there is a reflection of the other side of the street and a man passing by. It certainly comes close to what I had in mind to start with, so I am not unsatisfied with the result. I had to wait for some minutes before this guy finally walked by and I could press the shutter just in time. I must have looked a bit suspicious/silly to the passers by, pointing my camera at a shop window and waiting in position for a long time (LOL) . Your C&C is much appreciated. In the meantime, I'll refrain from commenting on the emotions/vibes I personally get from this image.

img_21514_0_135550429-O.jpg

EXIF:
Camera: Canon 400D (XTi)
Lens: EF 24-105 L F4 USM IS
ISO 800
Focus: 55 mm
F/5.6 1/45 sec
AWB

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This Cem is a good start! I happen to like this excercise and have been somewhat addicted! It is good fun as no one knows what you are doing.

Are you trying to copy the designs in the store to make copies to sell. Maybe you are thinking of robbing the store. Perhaps you are a detective documenting the movemets of that particular gut. No one except you knows! So all these question might be asked when looking at the picture.

Before commenting further do you have more so I can get an idea of the range of your exploration with this idea of yours?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

..Before commenting further do you have more so I can get an idea of the range of your exploration with this idea of yours?
Hi Asher,

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I have indeed some more pictures but I'll hold onto them for a while in the hope of getting some C&C on this particular image :).

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ah! Ha! Ray, you are thinking symbols!!!

Great! Now, there you go Ray,I know what you are thinking. Or at least I believe I have an inkling!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Interesting reflection

I like that composition. It needs to be viewed and not glanced at quickly. The more you look, the more there is to see.

I did some shots while traveling and forgot to put the CP filter on the camera. My husband (also a photographer hobbyist) decided that they had no value with all the reflections in the windows.
I hope that I did not use the delete button on them.

Cem_Usakligil

I like that composition. It needs to be viewed and not glanced at quickly. The more you look, the more there is to see...
I'm glad you've mentioned this, obviously I agree (smile). One can even tweak the raw file to make more details visible if needed but I chose not to for the time being.

..I did some shots while traveling and forgot to put the CP filter on the camera. My husband (also a photographer hobbyist) decided that they had no value with all the reflections in the windows. I hope that I did not use the delete button on them.
As a matter of fact, this picture is taken using a CP filter! Otherwise, there were too many (distracting) reflections of the street to be seen on the shop window. With the CP, I could cut them down to a minimum.

No, you definitely shouldn't be throwing away your pictures unless they are real duds (HD space is cheap nowadays). Someday when you take a fresh look at them you might discover beauties you haven't seen before :).

Cheers,

Charlotte Thompson

Cem

I have always loved Chandliers

I love glass and crystal

the light spectrum

what would it be if you found A CENTER IN THAT SPECTRUM
in that part of life/us
and
did a crop on just parts of it
it shines so beautifully

and I think you saw it-