• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Small man and the City Draft

8d87b754106fef3965d6764de7bdb0d.jpg

"Small man and the City Draft" aka "The Great Architect" - Cedric Massoulier

Minox 35 GT-E & Portra 160NC
Coolscan V ED - Photoshop CS3

Rod Snaith

I really like this shot.

Two things that drew my eye away though was the top of the bridge and the curve line on the central building being cropped. I found it distracting. I wonder if they were intact if one's eyes would stay in the picture?

Mike Shimwell

Love it Cedric - a strong sentiment. I agree I would prefer the curve on the buildnig to be complete, but I didn't notice until Rod pointed it out.

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Annoyingly Satisfying!

Love it Cedric - a strong sentiment. I agree I would prefer the curve on the buildnig to be complete, but I didn't notice until Rod pointed it out.

Mike
Mike and Rod,

Yes, the curves do upset us like a pole coming through a guys head in a portrait. Yes, that's our reaction. However, here, the picture is about incompletion! Everything is in a partial state. The man himself has no feet! So these incomplete edges add that consistent annoyance which in fact boosts the energy of the photograph.

Cedric,

If we had more of the man's immediate space around him free, with a complete body, that might be stronger. I'd also work with the lighting and sharpening to enhance attention to him.

Asher

Gary Ayala

So that one guy is the constructor? He must be very busy.

Where are all these new building being erected. Looks like it may be a convention center w/ hotels. Where were you standing?

Gary

All these buildings are offices in La Defense, business area in west of Paris and where i work.
I was standing at the top of a pedestrian bridge to shoot these pictures, near my own office building.
In fact, i shoot pictures in this place for months and months, i have dozens of similar shots, in colour and b&w, winter and summer, etc ;)

Rod Snaith

Yes, the curves do upset us like a pole coming through a guys head in a portrait. Yes, that's our reaction. However, here, the picture is about incompletion! Everything is in a partial state. The man himself has no feet! So these incomplete edges add that consistent annoyance which in fact boosts the energy of the photograph.

Thanks for the alternative viewpoint, Asher. Every day on here is an education :)

So, now I have a "what if" question for everyone's imagination:

Say we cloned out the second man, left our architect behind, but cropped him off so he was nothing but a body waving his arms around? Like we so often see a maestro on TV? Then allowed the central building and the bridge to be "completed"? I believe the dichotomy of completed versus incomplete, with our "maestro" in place for more could be a rather powerful image.

So what say you? Am I allowing my imagination to be too over-active again?

Rod