• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

No title II

Cem_Usakligil

Here is another one picture which has been haunting me for a while. Almost nobody in my circle of family and friends liked this picture when I showed it to them. But something at the back of my mind is telling me that there is something special going on here. This was a kid running very enthusiastically on his socks to greet his mom coming home after a day's work (she is invisible to the left). The town is almost a ghost town as you can see from the deserted houses. So it is in itself a contradiction to find such young and happy children running around over there. I was gearing up to picture the homes and he started to run towards me. I waited till he was in the frame and then clicked.

Any C&C will be appreciated as usual.

doel2.jpg

Cheers,

Last edited:

janet Smith

pro member
Here is another one picture which has been haunting me for a while. Almost nobody in my circle of family and friends liked this picture when I showed it to them. But something at the back of my mind is telling me that there is something special going on here

I agree - this is definitely special! It's a very powerful image, without the child it wouldn't work nearly so well though, lucky you that this barefoot child came along......

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Did you straighten the building or you have a good eye for verticals? I see it was taken at 17mm so which lens was this? I like the perspective as it gives the image a very close perspective, like the town is being observed up close.

I too am intrigued by the picture. Wish the Mum was there too? Did you manage to shoot her on not?

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Did you straighten the building or you have a good eye for verticals? I see it was taken at 17mm so which lens was this? I like the perspective as it gives the image a very close perspective, like the town is being observed up close.

I too am intrigued by the picture. Wish the Mum was there too? Did you manage to shoot her on not?

Asher
Hi Asher,

I did not straighten the building much, some 0.5 degrees IIRC. But I have corrected the perspective, the lens geometry and any other aberrations in DxO which I have ended up buying a few months ago. The lens was an EF 17-40mm L f4. I did not take a picture of the mom and the kid as I did not think about it right then.

Cheers,

Almost nobody in my circle of family and friends liked this picture when I showed it to them

Hum... but it is really a great picture ! Atmosphere is particular, almost surrealist. Position of the child is perfect, his smile contrasts with the abandonned house, while the painted wall behind him give another dimension to the shot. Yes, it is a great picture, bravo !

Mike Shimwell

Cem

I'm sinking under the strain of gainful employment at present, but this is genius work. Absolutely love the running child in front of the painted face of such an austere building. It's finished by the intensity of the light to the right of the frame, which gives a clarity to the moment. Just great stuff.

Thanks for sharing (and tell the heathens that don't get it that they're wrong:))

Best

Mike

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Bravo

Cem,

This is a spectacular image. I can stare at it for a long time - the textures, the light and the contrasts are perfect.

I can see this matted with a black mat with a white filet to it - black frame and framed as fine art. Beautiful.

Cem_Usakligil

Cem

I'm sinking under the strain of gainful employment at present, but this is genius work. Absolutely love the running child in front of the painted face of such an austere building. It's finished by the intensity of the light to the right of the frame, which gives a clarity to the moment. Just great stuff.

Thanks for sharing (and tell the heathens that don't get it that they're wrong:))

Best

Mike
Hi Mike,

What can I say, you've really made my day. So now I know what to send you for our next print exchange ;-). Time to revitalize it eh?

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

This is a spectacular image. I can stare at it for a long time - the textures, the light and the contrasts are perfect.

I can see this matted with a black mat with a white filet to it - black frame and framed as fine art. Beautiful.
Hi Kathy,

Thanks a lot for the kind comments. I can see it indeed hanging on a nice wall somewhere in SoCal. I'll send you a print soon, you can have it matted as you like ;-).

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Hum... but it is really a great picture ! Atmosphere is particular, almost surrealist. Position of the child is perfect, his smile contrasts with the abandonned house, while the painted wall behind him give another dimension to the shot. Yes, it is a great picture, bravo !
Hi Cedric,

Thanks a lot for your C&C, much appreciated. I was wondering if one can see the smile on the face of the child at this small size but apparently you can.

Cheers,

Hi Cem,

Subject is very different but child in your picture made me instantly think about this famous one shot by Cartier-Bresson :

stinnocents.jpg

Yes, subjects are really different but i think that these two childs have similar ways of walking and smiling, a mix of innocent proudness and simple happiness.

Mike Shimwell

Cedric, I don't know who this Cartier-Bresson is, but surely he could have managed not to cut of the child's feet:)..... sorry, coudn't resist

Cem, the print exchange will return soon. Fear not.

Mike

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Cem;
I've looked at this image several time since you posted it here. Ditto for your other recent, and not-so-recent, images. This is quite a nice street grab, as so many of your images are.

But what it really prompts me to suggest is that you gather 20-40 of your images together to create a Blurb book, if you've not already done so. I believe that your images, being largely documentary in nature, would benefit from being presented together even though they are from disparate times and places. I believe that such a body would be stronger than its individual constituents.

Just an opinion from an observer.

Cem_Usakligil

Cem;
I've looked at this image several time since you posted it here. Ditto for your other recent, and not-so-recent, images. This is quite a nice street grab, as so many of your images are.

But what it really prompts me to suggest is that you gather 20-40 of your images together to create a Blurb book, if you've not already done so. I believe that your images, being largely documentary in nature, would benefit from being presented together even though they are from disparate times and places. I believe that such a body would be stronger than its individual constituents.

Just an opinion from an observer.
Hi Ken,

Coming from you, this is an opinion which I value and appreciate very much, thank you for that. I have been gearing myself up toward setting up a web gallery for my images but were not able to reserve the time and focus needed to get it done properly. Re. a blurb book, in what form(s) and on which media can I create one do you think? Thanks again for looking and commenting.

Cheers,

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Hi Ken,

Coming from you, this is an opinion which I value and appreciate very much, thank you for that. I have been gearing myself up toward setting up a web gallery for my images but were not able to reserve the time and focus needed to get it done properly. Re. a blurb book, in what form(s) and on which media can I create one do you think? Thanks again for looking and commenting.

Cheers,

See the Blurb site for details. The general idea is to use their (free) design software to build your book against their templates of available sizes. The whole mess is uploaded when you're finished designing it and back come your books. (You can also sell books at Blurb.)

Also note that Brooks Jensen is now offering a PDF publishing workshop course on dvd. This may be a good alternative if you'd rather be more free-form. See the LensWork site for details.