• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Lego game

Perceptive shot, no explanation to give...

200903607copy.jpg

Minox 35 GT-E & Portra 160 NC
Scanned with Coolscan V ED
Processed in PS CS3 (digital bluring)

Ken Tanaka

pro member
You're definitely on to something here, Cedric. Those with an urban eye recognize the precast portable concrete barricade sections and their scale. The bright red, apparently plastic, piece in the background threw me, as it really does resemble a piece from a child's toy set. The blurring, to a photographer, suggests a lens tilt which throws the whole perception of scale off-center.

In viewing the image for the first second or two here is what went through my doggy brain, for what it may be worth to the artist.
1. Is that a Lego piece back there?
2. No, it can't be. THose are concrete barricades.
3. But it looks like he's manipulated visual scale and plopped a toy piece back there into the image.
4. No, it's not a toy piece. It looks like a section from some kind of European-style barricade system with interlocking pieces.

I wonder if there's a perspective that would make this a purer and more mystifying image? The zebra stripes are a nice feature, too.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Agreed, it's an amazing picture.

However it seems that there is some artificial blur (otherwise the DOF is a bit strange) which disturbs the comprehension of the perspective… imHo

Hi Ken and Nicolas,

Thanks for your comments ! Indeed there's an artificial blur made with Photoshop, something i usually don't want to do, but in this case i thought it was a good idea... I volontarly introduced some incoherences into the DOF : such plans can't coexist, foreground and background are not linear, sharp zones and blur zones are mixed... It is quite a joke for photographers...and for brain ! ;) But i don't know i f i am going to keep the picture like this, maybe a more conventionnal DOF should be more appropriate...

Cedric.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonjour Cedric
thanks for your rply and honesty!
Have you tried to do an artificial blur everywhere, except on the small lego piece?