• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Local park, this afternoon

Those long shadows really make the place magical! I also love that bit of rim-lighting on the edge of the trees and the person walking and the light shining through the leaves. Nice! Thanks for sharing, Michael
Maggie

The composition is interesting Michael but those shadows are a puzzle. The person on the path, as well as several of the trees, appear to be lit from above and slightly to the right. However, the two trees on the right hand side of the frame have shadows that suggest the light was from above and slightly to the left. Was there a building or something reflecting light into the scene?

Michael Nagel

Tom,

Thanks! There is no high-rise building I was aware of near that park. The trees are not straight and there were large branches higher up.

I have to look better the next time I pass.

Best regards,
Michael

i actually think I know what is happening. We all assumed the shadows were very, very long, but if i look at the woman and the length of her shadow on the small path, you can see it is about 1/3 of her length and then look at the tree up in front of her in the distance, and how small she would be if standing next to it, by comparing the people walking to the left, you can see that the branches that are very high up for that small tree before her, puddle on the ground and don't extend very far.

Ergo, I believe that the shadows are actually not long, but the trees are incredibly tall and split up higher than we can see in this frame. What you are seeing is the split of those trees and the branches again higher up. The shadow we see, if only 1/3 of the actual tree, would mean the tree would have to be incredibly tall to cast such a long shadow.
I think. :-D