• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flocking in I

charlie chipman

This is an infrared image taken with a modified (internal AA filter removed) D70 and if i remember correctly the filter was B+W 093. shot midday at 1/30 second, a false colour image.

1446391648_8d19c11260_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Charlie,

I'm so impressed by the simple composition. The idea is very basic, the birds unifying the two regions. Have you tired different colors and different shutter speeds.

Asher

charlie chipman

I didn't try any other shutter speeds but I did try a black and white version of another shot.
This one is more of a chaos pattern compared to the sine wave pattern of the first.
I still use the filter over the lens so I was shooting blind and hoping for the best, these two came out better than the rest.

I am still not 100% on the colours and B&W conversion though

1445474867_5e7d668370_o.jpg

I love the creativity here - very successful, to my eye. Of the two versions, the first appeals to me much more, although I'm hard pressed to define exactly why.

charlie chipman

I tend to think it is because there seems to be more order in the first than the second, at least that is why I like it more, although in the second I like the shape of some of the individual birds more so than the first.

thanks for commenting

I tend to think it is because there seems to be more order in the first than the second, at least that is why I like it more, although in the second I like the shape of some of the individual birds more so than the first.

thanks for commenting

Your comment made me look more carefully. I had assumed the second image was just a re-processed version of the first, but in fact, it's a different image/composition, etc. (I was looking at these at about 5:45 a.m. and wasn't quite fully awake!).

With that realization, the gentle 's-shaped' curve of the birds flowing through the frame seems to really make this one work.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Charlie,

You are talented!

Don, your comments in the second picture in regard to the sweep of the birds in a curve are helpful.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Charlie

I love the blur/flight effect so very much it gives a sense that no bird should or could be captured!
the color shot is crisp and inviting to the eye- nice!

Charlotte