• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Bride shot in nearly the worst lighting!

Will Thompson

OK, Here is one of mine!

Will_Thompson_C_2010_VX8Y3057PSac%20copy.jpg

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Old

Noon time light will blow the whites.....Will you might try running that through Lightroom now. I guess that is two or three years old. Maybe more. I remember when you went out to second with Michael.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Noon time light will blow the whites.....Will you might try running that through Lightroom now. I guess that is two or three years old. Maybe more. I remember when you went out to second with Michael.

Why disclose it's old! Was it film? There appears a ring on the lateral aspect of her right check. Is that a jpg artifact?

I am delighted to see this, although I don't immediately have problems with the lighting. If was doing weddings now I'd consider a Fuji for it's dynamic range. I think one could throw any light at it and it would cover it fine!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
ring

Asher,

The bride is not as young as it might appear. That ring AFAIK is a natural feature. As far as white dresses go as a wedding photographer - it's not ok to blow out the white dress. Dress detail is critical.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

If was doing weddings now I'd consider a Fuji for it's dynamic range. I think one could throw any light at it and it would cover it fine!

I am glad to see you call to mind Fuji's ingenious sensor design for attaining enlarged dynamic range.

I become aware of it a number of years ago when my main digital camera was a Fujifilm S602 (not one that used that sensor scheme) and thus I spent a lot of time in Fuji-oriented forums.

I have not kept up with how that scheme is represented in Fuji's current product line.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

I am glad to see you call to mind Fuji's ingenious sensor design for attaining enlarged dynamic range.

I become aware of it a number of years ago when my main digital camera was a Fujifilm S602 (not one that used that sensor scheme) and thus I spent a lot of time in Fuji-oriented forums.

I have not kept up with how that scheme is represented in Fuji's current product line.

Best regards,

Doug
I have heard from wedding photographers who have used the Fuji DSLR's that the sensor design really does help get the detail in the dress and veil as well as the grooms black suit and the variations in blackness of the buttons, lapel and seams.

What's a paradox to me is that families of the bride and groom rave over pictures where I can see the dress has no details. They look at the emotions and can seem oblivious to quality.

Asher

Andy brown

Forgive me for being facetious but I'd like to re-route the discussion to 'worst bride shot in nearly good light'.
Sorry, I'll pull my head in soon.

James Roberts

Who says the dress is blown anyway? If you're seeing a blown dress, your monitor is out...

The dress measures in PS mostly around RGB 242 (precisely where you want the limit of printable white) and, yes, the blue channel only is a wee bit clipped in places. But that's not a problem. Certainly lots of recoverable and printable detail there.

The light is unflattering because its not directional. But it's not horrid... her expression isn't exactly unproblematic, though, and neither is the composition, which is very much a snapshot.

As for "never" showing a blown dress--balderdash. Expression over perfection, I say :) I also certainly don't need or want to scope out locations days in advance; I know enough about light to deal with what gets thrown my way, and plans just ruin the spontaneity of the shoot. That doesn't mean I'm unprepared--far from it... but preparation doesn't extend to extra time on location IMO except in very special circumstances.

Veejay--you're not familiar, clearly, with Fuji's pro SLRs, which were very good indeed and far from a a point and shoot. "Internetz" indeed, my friend, you could have Googled before you spoke. You certainly owe Asher an apology.

Having said that, and despite DxO's charts, I've never been very impressed with their ability to hold highlights, in particular... especially since you need to compress them for print anyway.

Doug Kerr

Journalism class example of "Cincinnati Enquirer" caption style:

Bride shot
in nearly worst 
 possible lighting

in public park
near Los Angeles

Doug

Asher Kelman

I've transferred posts that were "odd" to our coral for such things.

Just cleaning up. Anyone who objects feel free to PM me.

Asher

VeeJay Stiles

I had a chance to see some of this :

I don't think I'd ever respond to a post like that... I don't do very many weddings so I'd be quite limited to any advice I would have. But, it most certainly wouldn't be so arrogantly displayed if I had anything.

I should maybe point out ; this coworker was also a fellow photographer. Shot for years and years before I was, but he never let anyone see his stuff so.. Idk about that

To the OP Will : I'm not sure why he went after you like you did something intentionally to him : that was his usual reaction when things didn't go his way / didn't agree with someone. Part of the reason he go let go in the first place actually...

Sydney Rester

Will, I hope you don't mind, but I had a play with the image. I can post my play if you want. It looks like this is salvageable to me. I used Kevin Kubota's image tools - Fill Flash to lighten her face a bit and Smokeless burn to try and bring back some dress detail Then I converted to a mocha black and white. It became a totally different image. Do you have the RAW file to work with?

Asher Kelman

I would have opened up the lens a little bit. I don't think the dress is blown out badly. You should see my beach wedding photos taken around noon under the crazy Florida sun...:)

Glad to see Will's picture addressed.

Otto,

Let me share with you this. I feel that most families have no idea of blown out dresses. They do not look to see if the pattern on a veil is discernible. A black tuxedo with no details between the silk of the lapels and the collar is accepted as perfectly wonderful!

We cringe!

Asher