• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Call for recommendations in Goals, Organization and Features of OPF Website Rebuild

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We now have a post on Craigs list Los Angeles for an IT Web developer. There's an avalanche of responses. Many from India and a number from the Los Angeles Area.

I am in the process of evaluating each of the responses and will need to put together a compendium of updates and capabilities for the website. I may hire several promising candidates to make detailed proposals and budgets for their work, before selecting the company to redo everything for us.

So, feel free to be industries and record your own ideas and advice. The candidate web designers will be reading OPF Look Feel & Vibe, especially your latest comments here.

Thanks for your advice and input. Be as organized and creative as possible with our objectives thought about carefully. Ideally, what can this boat do and where can it go on its next journey?

Asher

Lee Tracy

Something neeeds to change in how photos are posted - a size limit set or something. Some of the photos that are posted are far too big and take ages to load, a problem which multiplies exponentially when people then quote to reply with the photos repeated multiple times in the same thread.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Something neeeds to change in how photos are posted - a size limit set or something. Some of the photos that are posted are far too big and take ages to load, a problem which multiplies exponentially when people then quote to reply with the photos repeated multiple times in the same thread.

Lee, Can you be specific? As far as I understand, that image is likely as not cached in several places, at intermediate nodes in the Internet and on your own computer. At least that's my understanding. We are used to pretty robust telecom systems in the USA, so we may not my be seeing these issues. Certainly, mobe versions work with smaller files. However, I am no expert on this and would like to hear more.

Asher

Lee Tracy

All images posted online should be optimised for the web - this does not affect the quality of how they are displayed, just how big the file is. Big files take longer to load. When there are several images in a thread, whether the same one repeated or multiple different images, this all adds to the time it takes to load the page.

You can do a simple test yourself. Pick any image heavy page on the net and load it without the images enabled and then with the images enabled, and see the difference in how long it takes to load. You can even get extensions that will strip images from webpages and load text only because of the huge difference this makes.

If you upload to a photo hosting site, the link they give you should be to a reduced, optimised image, but even so - the page size on a forum like this won't display an image much more than 800px wide without your browser resizing it to fit - so there should also be a restriction on the width allowed (which also reduces file size) as the bigger image isn't displaying anyway.

Your web designers will know all this in any case.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Lee,

Each photo is loaded only once by your browser into its cache. Repeating them in quotes does not add any time to how long it takes to load a page.