• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Always wanted to try this :-)

Two Hearts

185040980-O.jpg

Thank you Kathy!
The basic idea seems to be around for ages, although I have never seen TWO rings in a shot like this. Darn things just won't stay together, so I had to use some kung-fu on them :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Nikolai,

A great way of making a heart. I haven't seen that before. I'd consider cropping a lot away since once the bible is recognized, more does not add. At the very least you might consider removing the top allowing say much less than a 1/4", better only 1/8" above the two rings.

Now this becomes a powerful statement. I'd try to add a tiny light from the side through a grid, going only to the rings.

This is something meaningful.

Asher

When you have the technic worked out, I'll also try different favorite texts so that people can choose.

Cem_Usakligil

Great job Nik, as usual :).

My only nitpick would be, why don't you shoot exactly the same picture with the bible on a dark background and get rid of the horizontal thingie at the top, it only distracts if you ask me. Something like this actually:

img_32574_0_185094168-L.jpg

Cheers,

Cem,

Great job Nik, as usual :).

My only nitpick would be, why don't you shoot exactly the same picture with the bible on a dark background and get rid of the horizontal thingie at the top, it only distracts if you ask me. Something like this actually:

Cheers,

Thank you!
Hmm, I think I'll give it a shot :)

BTW, I'm not a big Bible scholar. Can anybody give me a tip on what part of it would be the most relevant for the occasion? I just picked up a relatively random page in the middle where the words "wedding" and "marriage" were present...
TIA!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Song of Solomon or Psalms

Well, depending on the person's belief that you were going to stage this for, I might pick something from Song of Solomon or perhaps Psalms or Proverbs 31. I would save the section you used for someone with a Christian background since I see a reference to Christ.

James Roberts

Well, depending on the person's belief that you were going to stage this for, I might pick something from Song of Solomon or perhaps Psalms or Proverbs 31. I would save the section you used for someone with a Christian background since I see a reference to Christ.

Yes, and in the original shot it's a section of the Gospel where Jesus says "there is no marriage in the resurrection" so I guess that's the "death do us part" part. LOL!!!

Honestly, it's a fine trick shot. But try doing one with the bride or groom--or both--involved instead, it means so much more to the people involved. I know lots of people won't even take a shot like this because it's so divorced from emotion.

For a passage from the Christian New Testament, try this one:

1 Corinthians 13: 1-13 -- which is on the nature of love, and a common wedding reading. (you know, the one that begins "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.")

Asher Kelman

Kathy and James,

Those are great references. I think one should show an image based on what you know. If it is a religious couple then the correct source would be used as an example. Also the Song of Solomon is beautiful but non-denominational and extends to all couples irrespective or creed.

One might also use a sonnet from William Shakespeare or the Omar Khayyam.

This is great if it is very flexible and catered for the couple.

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Details for the Wedding Albums

Shots like these are nice for filler in albums. But, you do have to make sure that your bride and groom's have beliefs that align with what you shoot so you don't shoot yourself in the foot! If someone is of Christian Belief, you won't go wrong shooting from the Old Testement. But if someone is not of the Christian faith and you do shoot from the New Testement, you may offend them. In your intake/interview of the bride and groom it's a very good idea to find this out ahead of time.

Shots like these are nice for filler in albums. But, you do have to make sure that your bride and groom's have beliefs that align with what you shoot so you don't shoot yourself in the foot! If someone is of Christian Belief, you won't go wrong shooting from the Old Testement. But if someone is not of the Christian faith and you do shoot from the New Testement, you may offend them. In your intake/interview of the bride and groom it's a very good idea to find this out ahead of time.
With my background, I can use Communism Manifesto, for crying out loud, as long as B&G are into it:)

James Roberts

@ Kathy--there shouldn't be any "filler" in an album people are paying for. Something to think about... :)

@ Nicola--you said "With my background, I can use Communism Manifesto, for crying out loud, as long as B&G are into it:)"

Right--get the BG into it and leave Marx (far) away. Leave any book far away! I'd challenge both of you to make a picture so you see someone important holding the rings instead of a well-executed trick shot.

No-one ever tears up over a shot like this... where's the emotional content?

Just my 2 cents ;) YMMV.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Accent

I stand corrected - Accent was the correct word. When you do a bound book and put several images on the page you can use these kinds of shots nicely.

James Roberts

Kathy--

Oh I know how they're used, believe me :)

Ok--do the shot. It's the "bride and groom looking at the superimposed wedding" of the 90s. And yes--I meant 90s :)

If you *must* do a shot like this, at least get the program with the bride and groom's ceremony there... their names are more important than a text.

But that's it from me--you now know how I feel about it!

Asher Kelman

Nikolai,

Gradually I've changed my perspective on this.

With the only word resurrection standing out, I'm starting to think like Jamie.

I'd rather have a ring with the rest of the image OOF, but coming from the ceremony and the like. There is so much existing magic at weddings, special personal moments, that one should perhaps avoid tricks. Still, I like the basic idea for a composition, but maybe not to be used for this type of photography project.

Asher

Nikolai,

Gradually I've changed my perspective on this.

With the only word resurrection standing out, I'm starting to think like Jamie.

I'd rather have a ring with the rest of the image OOF, but coming from the ceremony and the like. There is so much existing magic at weddings, special personal moments, that one should perhaps avoid tricks. Still, I like the basic idea for a composition, but maybe not to be used for this type of photography project.

Asher

OK, guys, let's get something clear.

This are NOT the shots from a wedding. This is 100% staged "still life" composition taken on my driveway. I simply wanted to get a low sun casting harsh shadows of two rings forming two heart-like shapes. Whether or not my future B&Gs would like this sort of things is totally out of the context.