• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Friend's Wedding

I took this pictures as a favor to my friend to go on the picture video I was making for her wedding. I had to stay out of the hired photographers way, and was in heels that were sinking into the grass, but I think I got some decent shots. I haven't done weddings much, but it is something that interests me a lot. Let me know what you think.

1. This was the bride and her dad. He thought it would be funny to pick her up. She wasn't so sure.
DSC_0054.jpg

2. Another picture of the bride and her dad, but this time with her feet on the ground.
DSC_0049.jpg

3. This is a stunt the photographer asked the groom to do. This is not something he would normally do so it was pretty funny to watch.
DSC_0159.jpg

4. This one is probably my favorite.
DSC_0188.jpg

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
More information

The exif data is really helpful to me to critique your photos. The "stunt" is called the Nissan Jump - it's sort of past it's prime in the photo department - it's become a stock "pose" and to me it's unnatural so I wouldn't ask anyone to do it. - YMMV.

The emotion in the shot of her being picked up by Dad is sweet. The image looks very natural in a photojournalist sense. It's my favorite.

One of the hardest things is to get the white coloring right to keep some details in the image. The dress detail is blown out - a bit over exposed but you might be able to correct it some in PS. The green is a little flat in the last shot. Depending on the camera, you might have tried to stop down a bit or set the exposure compensation to underexpose maybe a 1/2 stop.

These are a good place to start if Wedding photography is of interest. I am just back from a 4 day workshop of Wedding Photography. So much of it is practicing to get it right - like any new skill.

I took this pictures with my Nikon D50 with the 18-55mm kit lenses. I think I was just shoting in auto mode, so I'm not sure what my shutter speed or f stop was. Next time, I'll make sure I switch to manual, since I know I have much more control that way. I also struggled because I wasn't able to direct the shoot and just had to stand back and watch, and try to make another photographer's style work for my pictures.

I'm not very good with photo editing, but I think the pictures from this day will be good ones to practice on.

Thanks for commenting Kathy. I definitely need to practice more and hopefully I'll get the chance.