• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Texas Morning

Bob Rogers

My wife and I went to help her Dad pack up. He's sold the farm in Texas and is going back to California. We were headed out early to get home ahead of the drunks on New Year's Day, and the light was really nice. Unfortunately I only had a few seconds. Fortunately, I had a camera handy.

TexasMorning.jpg

Texas Morning
Bob Rogers

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My wife and I went to help her Dad pack up. He's sold the farm in Texas and is going back to California. We were headed out early to get home ahead of the drunks on New Year's Day, and the light was really nice. Unfortunately I only had a few seconds. Fortunately, I had a camera handy.

TexasMorning.jpg

Texas Morning
Bob Rogers

Bob,

This is of course quite beautiful. I wonder whether there's any detail or differences in shading in the dark tones in the lower part and your thoughts on the composition with such a large space of black. What does that serve? This must not be taken as any suggestion that somehow your choices are "incorrect"; far from it! I am interested in the function of black space and wonder what it might mean in this instance.

Asher

Jerome Marot

This is indeed very nice: the shape of the trees, the morning mist, the fog, the colors. A very delicate picture.

Bob Rogers

Hi Asher,

On my monitor I can see detail in the grass in the foreground.

I hadn't thought about it, but using my hand to block off the bottom half of that dark area seems to improve the composition though. Thanks.

In reality, the property doesn't look that good, so a dark exposure plays up the mist and the delicate color of the sky while subduing the ground.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Asher,

On my monitor I can see detail in the grass in the foreground.

I hadn't thought about it, but using my hand to block off the bottom half of that dark area seems to improve the composition though. Thanks.

In reality, the property doesn't look that good, so a dark exposure plays up the mist and the delicate color of the sky while subduing the ground.

Bob,

Be careful of meeting expectations of others. It's important that we all don't merge into one style. You must b e true to what you need for your own passion. So only crop if it helps express what you want in the way you feel.

As for printing, I always think looking on the screen, which is back-lit, is one thing and printing is another. I assume that there's always more work to be done for actually printing!

Asher

Sam Hames

I've been looking at this photo of yours on and off for the last week or so.

It's fascinating as it stands: there's a hint of possibility, a hint of something about to happen. I get the feeling there's a whole new day opening up ahead. Given the new years aspect I guess that's appropriate.

You should take the time to print it :)