• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How are you using color labels

Jukka Vuorinen

How are you using Lightroom color labels in your workflow (or similar in other software)?

I have used labels like this:

red: Edit this image
yellow: All possible Lr editing done
green: image is ready to publish

I also used blue as "Image is not rated yet". when I was trying to modify my workflow so that I'd always remember to rate images. I gave blue label to all images in import and I had a smart collection which showed all images with blue label. And other one with blue labels and rating, which I mainly used to remove blue label from rated images. If image had no rating and no blue label then it was ok to delete it. The logic behind this was kind of born from notion that no rating is also rating. I will probably stop using blue label this way. Now I'm trying to find a good way to use labels fully. Previously I was using just three out of five labels.

I know different people use Labels differently and I'm not trying to find someones good way, I'm just curious about possibilities I haven't thought of. I have vague memory that Peter Krogh uses them as Unrated, Outtakes, TrashMe. Some other people use them as Published in Blog, Sold, Portfolio, etc.

So the original question again: How are you using Lightroom color labels in your workflow (or similar in other software)?

Sorry if I posted this to inappropriate forum part.

Thank you for reading.

regards, Jukka

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi Jukka,

I'm using them in a similar way to you....

Red - Rough edit done, needs metadata
Yellow - Rough edit done and metadata added
Green - Editing good enough for general use
Purple - Final Edit complete (good for sale and print)

Don't currently use blue at the moment.

Like you, I'd be interested to know what others are doing,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
How are you using Lightroom color labels in your workflow (or similar in other software)?

I have used labels like this:

red: Edit this image
yellow: All possible Lr editing done
green: image is ready to publish
Jukka,

We have a discussion here. In the Dam book, Peter Krogh designates shots to be deleted as #1, Red. He looks for liked good images in #2, Green. He expects only a fraction to get to # 3, Green and so on.

That's from my memory hs I have diverged a lot from his methods, although I love his book. I use a different catalog for each event. The events are labelled as 2010_12_03_Conservatory Orchestra Pasadena, for example. I do not label the individual files by date.

I use Red for delete from the drive. I pick usable images as Green and pictures that will work for my Art as #7, Yellow or Textures as #9 Grey. The rest is ad hoc , I just decide on a color for a particular selection I'm making and then collect all of that color and assign that collection to an event, category, People or whatever is needed.

I collect and pictures for ART, Yellow or Texture, Gray or other categories and transfer them into a drive for that category. All files are backed up n a Drobo with 2 copies.

This method works for me. However, you should design your own system based on your type of work. Following Peter is a good path and reading his book is a great primer for all the pitfalls you can come across.

Asher

During October 2010, OPF members could get the new book with the latest Expression Media II software as a bundle price of just the cost of the book. See if they still honor that.