• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First Post from me

Just to break the ice:

Two shot for you to rip apart. I did this wedding in December last year....very casual affair.

108038340.jpg

108038994.jpg

Rachel Foster

I like the playfulness of the first shot. The "frozen" water around the man's feet is very nice, also. I wondered, though, if upping the contrast a bit might make it more striking.

Mike Shimwell

Hi Johann

I like the second, except for the flash shadow (I presume) and the hardish light. I'd probably warm it very slightly as well. Just a couple of quick thoughts.

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Just to break the ice:

Two shot for you to rip apart. I did this wedding in December last year....very casual affair.

108038340.jpg

108038994.jpg
Johnan,

This is the kind of memory picture that brides and their mothers are really hoping for. People can be technically perfect, but one must still capture fun and or splendor. This is super happy and so much fun. I'd say these are highly successful. I'd love to see the formal pics too and know what they asked for?

How do you set up the wedding; mostly up front charges or else you rely on getting print sales?

Asher

Mike Spinak

pro member
I think you've done well.

You captured the expressions, the interaction, and the mood.

I think these pictures could be finished with a little more polish. For example, you might consider very slightly cropping and rotating the first picture, to make the horizon level. You might consider softening the flash on the bride's cheek and forehead, in the second. (Try doing this with the clone stamp, at ~30% opacity.) Also, I think a slight bump in contrast and/or saturation might give these pictures more of an exuberant feeling.

I like the playfulness of the first shot. The "frozen" water around the man's feet is very nice, also. I wondered, though, if upping the contrast a bit might make it more striking.

Rachel, "playful" juat about sums up this whole wedding - note the sunglasses. They were a fun couple to work with.

Hi Johann

I like the second, except for the flash shadow (I presume) and the hardish light. I'd probably warm it very slightly as well. Just a couple of quick thoughts.

Mike
Noted Mike. If I can remember, this was shot with a silver reflector camera left. Perhaps a wrong choice - white may have been better, or just a diffuser instead.

I think you've done well.

You captured the expressions, the interaction, and the mood.

I think these pictures could be finished with a little more polish. For example, you might consider very slightly cropping and rotating the first picture, to make the horizon level. You might consider softening the flash on the bride's cheek and forehead, in the second. (Try doing this with the clone stamp, at ~30% opacity.) Also, I think a slight bump in contrast and/or saturation might give these pictures more of an exuberant feeling.

Thanks for the pointers Mike, really appreciated.
Horizon - bad oversight on my part. Agree, maybe getting rid of the small piece of sky will be better. It serves no purpose.

Johnan,

This is the kind of memory picture that brides and their mothers are really hoping for. People can be technically perfect, but one must still capture fun and or splendor. This is super happy and so much fun. I'd say these are highly successful. I'd love to see the formal pics too and know what they asked for?

How do you set up the wedding; mostly up front charges or else you rely on getting print sales?

Asher

Thanks Asher. Strangely, you are only the second person who has made the statement as in your first line. It appears that there is a huge demand nowadays for the more unusual sort of stuff, like strange angles, strange props/themes, and my pet hate - extreme post processing.
I have no problem with people wanting that sort of end product, and if the client wants it, I suppose one has to comply or decline the work.
Personally I much prefer to see most of the shoot being done along this sort of style - natural. In saying that, one obviously has to also be ready and prepared to explore all creative opportunities presented by the subject, the environment, the light and most of all, the moment.

As for the shoot (this one) - the word "formal" simply did not feature.
More can be seen here: Wedding

Despite having several meetings to plan everything, the day turned out like the people - very casual, unstructured and unpredictable. Timing for one was impossible - the hair-dresser for instance took a whole hour more than planned, and this resulted in everything else being hurried and compressed rather dramatically. I know for a fact that many pro photographers would have seriously considered giving up and leaving, or maybe not even taking it on in the first place.

As for setting up:

This was my first wedding since the days when I was still shooting with film. I hope to get back into it slowly. And boy oh boy - things are different nowadays.

First lesson, either get paid up front or cover yourself with a good deposit. Sadly while they were very pleased with the product, they are now pleading poverty and I am still waiting for some of the money. So in future, I willl cover that base.
Secondly, a formal contract I now view as a must, as it will greatly help in providing a bit more structure and common understanding.
Thirdly, I have a different view on how the output should be handled (this applies to all work I am commissioned to do).
I do not in any way try to hang on to sole copyright / usage rights - in my view the copyright belongs to the client. I do however get clear agreement re my own rights to use the images for my own benefit, as I see fit, but also never in such a way that it may in any way be offensive/damaging to the client. If however the client objects, then surely that has to be respected, and I have no problem with complying to the agreed terms.
I do all the required processing to support printing, web posting and e-mailing of all images given to the client. This set is provided to the client as a minimum. Should they also want prints, I recommend a printer, and if they wish, I will get the printing done for them.
At the end however, they get all the images and I do not in any way guarentee back-up availability in terms of reprint or reproduction of the media (CD/DVD) that was handed to them.

Maybe you guys can offer some different views for me to consider