• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

E-Session

James Yu

This is my first try to do an engagement session.. Critique and comments are very welcome... Thanks..

4852406422_541ccf5688_b.jpg

4852566326_4a36a3315e_b.jpg

4851948753_6c6d88d2b3_b.jpg

4852569836_a83559c684_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi James,

This is a very casual affair and the picture meet that sensibility. The first picture as actually a diptych of two images, in each either the man or woman is seen from the back of the other. It's not a composition I'm used to seeing, rather like the sequence of shooting in a movie, but then we don't see the backs.

The second picture, at last, shows the two in a set up together as lovers, but discretely, with him partially lying down and she's posed in his arms.

the third is a puzzle. Such a picture, with the main subject blurred out is more like a and advanced philosophical image I might see 8 meters tall in the Venice biennale and everyone would say how deep it was!

The last picture is again unusual. we look past a man out of focus to the betrothed woman seeming somewhat awkward. The style again is new to me.

Where does the idea of having one person blurred and the other in focus come from?

The main thing about the couple is that they are so much in love and that the pictures will be great mementos. Still, I have reservations about the style. I wonder whether you might b e able to assist a wedding photographer if it's your intention to do this professionally. Of course, it could be that this style is current. However, not being better educated, if this was done in Los Angeles, the couple might have questions about paying.

Asher

Last edited:
Hi James,

One of the things that hit me is the face of the bride to be. I do not see a smiling, beaming face, instead I almost see a frown. That may be a cultural issue, or an effect that you went after. Asher brings out a point about two people coming together in marriage and how the out of focus technique that does not, in my opinion, speak to the tenderness of this time of their lives.
Thank you for posting your work and I hope that you remain open to the honest responses from the members, I have learned a ton from posting and reading. Keep shooting!

James Yu

@Asher,
im just experimenting the out of focus thing.. i think that is a bad idea to do an engagement shot... i have a hard time because the couple is very shy especially the bride..

@Marshall
thanks for the comments.. i have to think another concept..

Asher Kelman

@Asher,
im just experimenting the out of focus thing.. i think that is a bad idea to do an engagement shot... i have a hard time because the couple is very shy especially the bride..

@Marshall
thanks for the comments.. i have to think another concept..

James,

Maybe it's not such a good thing to experiment for such a shoot, LOL! I'd try to do the conventional first. When that's "in the bag", go ahead, have fun! Really, think about working with a pro to get to know how to deliver the best!

Asher

BTW, I sent you a special PM!

Joe Thomas

James, thanks for sharing your photos. I know from my own experiences as a photographer that while doing a genre for the first time can be intimidating and nerve-wracking. And I have felt on more than one occasion that if I were only more relaxed my pictures would have turned out better. I am not sure if this is the case with you, but it is admirable that you posted the pictures here and you want to grow as a photographer.

Overall, personally I am not a fan of the red/blue tint to the photos. This is a personal think, and I know it is done a lot, even in wedding photography. Just for my taste, I prefer more natural processing.

As far as the pictures themselves I think I like number 1 the best out of the set. I like how you set up two photos side by side. That is a nice composition. I wish the bride and groom seemed a little less stress. This may come with time as you work with more and more brides and grooms. I think this photo is on the right track.

And I like where you are going with the fourth picture. I don't think the composition is quite there yet, but I like it. I wish you would have got less of the groom's shoulders and neck in the photo and just made it the back of his head, so it is almost looking from his perspective. And also had the bride give a more longing sensual look to the camera. I think with the casualness of the whole shoot I think this could have turned out really nicely.

Anyway, congrats on finishing your first engagement session. They are good pictures. And I hope to see more by you in the future.

fahim mohammed

James, if the ' to be ' couple liked these shots, you are well on your way to be the official wedding photog.

Interesting photos and treatment. Interesting indeed!

Regards.

Asher Kelman

Thank you eveyone for the time to reply to this thread.. This really help the newbie..

Glad you are learning. It seems you are handling a lot of new things at once and still getting through! What did you use to put the first two pictures together as one composition? Then how did you prepare it for the web as a jpg with the title?

Asher

James Yu

@Asher
i just make new layer then move the two picture in the white layer, transform the picture then add text... :) still experiment the layout..

James Cook

i have a hard time because the couple is very shy especially the bride..

There are ways to overcome that. In your second shot, if you moved around more to the left to get more of a frontal view of them both, then asked him to discreetly tickle just a little bit, both would end up laughing and smiling.

You'll always encounter shy people or those who are uncomfortable about having their picture taken. It's the photographer's job to make it fun and get them over it.

James Yu

There are ways to overcome that. In your second shot, if you moved around more to the left to get more of a frontal view of them both, then asked him to discreetly tickle just a little bit, both would end up laughing and smiling.

You'll always encounter shy people or those who are uncomfortable about having their picture taken. It's the photographer's job to make it fun and get them over it.

ok.. il try that next tym.. thanks for the advice..