• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Portrait and a Legacy of Seeing!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Crikey!
That took longer than the 54 bus to Ludmilla. I thought you guys were doing a criminal check on me just to let me in. (that old biddy I mugged! She hit me first).
Now I'm in I don't know where to start. The list of options is longer than my wife's 'to do' list.
And I read some of the comments. Gee! There are some pretty smart people here.
You will take it easy on me, won't you? I'm old and have a weak ticker.
I know! I'll start with a picture of myself taken by my 8 year old grand daughter. I stole her bear and she was recording the event to dob on me to her grumpy grandmother. Boy, did I get a pasting. The bears name is Scraggs, by the way and I'll knock the stuffing out of it next time I find it swimming in the toilet bowl.

20111118_4874 by tom.dinning, on Flickr​

This is a picture that can serve as a prototype for the concept of seeing. Of course, Tom didn't take this picture. I'd strongly assert, however, that his own father did. That's the puzzle you have to unravel! As it is, the picture is just fine. It does not "need" to be cropped or to have contrast change to make it pop. But why do I say this? That's an insight for you to discover and experience on your own.

It would be a mistake to think of this as just a treasured family memento. Yes, it's that of course, but far more. This picture tells so much of the man, intimacy, humor, confidence, not taking himself too seriously, even poking fun at himself, for he selected just this to be his formal introduction.

The image shows so much and is important. Don't say it's just a lucky snap by a child. Also, this is not merely "found art" picking up a chance snap like driftwood fortuitously discovered in the sand. This picture, instead, appears to be the result of living a life of enjoyment, trust and example and living in a world of "seeing".

That, you have to explore further in Tom's other pictures. Look and you will be rewarded. My own belief is that you will find a body of work that has its own signature and is worthy of recognition. My purpose in putting this in the Art Theory forum is to allow you to see not just this picture again, but also to look at the very subject of "seeing" in one family and it's impact on making a body of pictures worthy of saving.

I'd venture, that with earphones on, youth of today, are in inner bubbles of delusion and are less able to see the world passing before them. For that, quiet observation is needed. Shshhh!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

.... I'd venture, that with earphones on, youth of today, are in inner bubbles of delusion and are less able to see the world passing before them. ..
Every generation claims that the following generation is missing out on certain things. They become nostalgic about the things they have done and how the youth does not know to appreciate the important things in life. This is part of our lifecycle. I would say, do not underestimate the youth. :)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Every generation claims that the following generation is missing out on certain things. They become nostalgic about the things they have done and how the youth does not know to appreciate the important things in life. This is part of our lifecycle. I would say, do not underestimate the youth. :)

No doubt, Cem! That was just an extra quip, LOL, and for the folks oblivious to traffic, headphones, I believe, are an existential threat!

Read "Learning to See", the very special PDF book written by Tom, our new member? That's the substance behind this thread. :)

Asher

I believe they see more of the world than we could ever imagine, right at their fingertips.

As technology evolves. So do the human beings evolving with it.

Children of my son's generation(2 years old) see more of the world than I ever had without leaving the couch. Different cultures, religions, political views, personal views, etc are right in front of them at all times. My son loves the ipad. He gets on youtube and before you know it is watching power rangers, in Japanese, Spanish, French, Indian, Russian, etc. They see more of the world passing before them than one could possibly imagine, at a pace one cannot fathom.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakekleinphotography/6845025497/in/photostream

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I'm not sure I can cope somedays with the input kids have today. The important thing is that they do and it requires a gentle, well directed adult to give them that understanding. Irrespective of how strange the young may appear, the do grow up and once their brain gets into gear they look back at the next generation and look in awe and desperation at them. Its a cycle thats been going on for some time, I suspect.
Seeing is one thing. Understanding what we see is another. Seeing with an open heart, a passion and compassion, order and balance, without prejudice and with curiosity is a good starting place for adults to teach kids how to see.
Make your next friend a young person. Grow with them.