• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Self Portrait - Oil Painting

Matt Halstead

Hi guys,

I've developed a real appreciation for the paintings of the classical masters: Rembrandt, Vermeer, Gericault etc.

I've been experimenting for a while now trying to re-create the look with my photography, in particular with lighting and photoshop.

To take this picture i had my camera on a tripod and tethered to my laptop which i used to trigger the camera. I was lit with a single flash fired through a large softbox camera right. I also had a reflector on my lap for a bit of fill. The latter made life hard work when trying to fiddle with the laptop!

8610808316_637e8860fb_b.jpg

Cheers,

Matt

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
8614750514_2bb50b99f2_b.jpg

re-edited to reduce the reds and also provide additional brightness.

Matt,

This is a definite departure from the more ghostly metal like portraits we're so accustomed to. Here there's a feeling of seriousness too, as if you can play a great game of chess, a good swordsman and is known in Budapest, Vienna and Turkish nightclubs as a great tipper and able to throw punches if dissed.

Sinister still, but more human the devilish!

Might you open up the darkness on the left just to get a glimpse of structure of the chest and neck.

Asher

Chris Calohan

You should study Caravaggio and of course, Rembrandt for dramatic chiaroscuro lighting technique. One thing to note with many of the old masters who perfected this technique is not just the subtle blends in color and light, but the very often dramatic application of light and dark to the eyes and ears. The brows are generally intensely darker but the whites and highlights always pierce the view. This was especially true with Rembrandt though Vermeer was pretty good at it as well.

The lighting is far more subdued with the Flemish painters but as in much due to the quality of the natural lighting used and the focus of the lighting. While subtle transitions were far more important to Vermeer, Cravaggio was selling the allegorical context of the Catholic church and high drama ws the name of the game.

8616549488_4fa4df24d6_o.jpg

Oh, and for the most part, sans Rembrandt's self portraits, there is often an equalization of colorful clothing used to offset the harshness of the light. Blues and oranges were very often used.

Paul Abbott

All those master painters you've mentioned produced works of art that were unrivaled and held a beautiful fascination for the face and it's portrait, contrasted with wonderful light.
Your attempt or inspiration to produce something similar is truly fantasy-like and awful...
I seem to remember you trying to recreate the look of Dragan's work in your images...now it seems everyone is doing it! Also, with this current idea of yours, you are already beaten to the chase by a fellow called Bill Gekas.
The point is, why not try to create your own style and look, and be more original?

Chris Heilman

All those master painters you've mentioned produced works of art that were unrivaled and held a beautiful fascination for the face and it's portrait, contrasted with wonderful light.
Your attempt or inspiration to produce something similar is truly fantasy-like and awful...
I seem to remember you trying to recreate the look of Dragan's work in your images...now it seems everyone is doing it! Also, with this current idea of yours, you are already beaten to the chase by a fellow called Bill Gekas.
The point is, why not try to create your own style and look, and be more original?

I thought Gekas did kid pix ...

Antonio Correia

Matt, I sincerely love your selfportrait !

Trying to recreate Rembrandt, Vermeer, Gericault etc. light will train/coach/practice your skills - in CS, flash and so on - and will guide you to new and more creative trends in your images.

Congrats man ! You are doing an excellent work IMHO ! :)

Be careful not to let your computer fall on the ground !