• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Muse Visits! Jessica From Mexico!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here I will introduce Jessica.

_MG_7194_2_HS 600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Jessica Headshot #1

Canon 6D 50mm 1.2 L at 3.5
Natural light supplemented with over the camera Canon flash

I hope you might have comments. anyway, I find her intelligent and adorable and she does her own makeup!

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

Asher

What a beauty! I really like the shot/capture. She reminds me of Selma Hyak or I think you also saw that
You could really work with this kind of passion in her- It's all over the place!

Charlotte-

Asher Kelman

Asher

What a beauty! I really like the shot/capture. She reminds me of Selma Hyak or I think you also saw that
You could really work with this kind of passion in her- It's all over the place!

Charlotte,

Thanks for visiting. I didn't consciously think of Sema Hyak, but, yes, that's there and more! She has a rich dusky beauty and is restrained and self confidant. Here's the original from which the headshot was made.

_MG_7194_2 full length.jpg

Asher Kelman: Jessica with Purple-throated Lilies[/I]

Natural Light Supplemented by Above Camera Canon Flash

I plan to do a lot more work with her.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher

Do you ever use costumes in your portrait work.

C.

Thanks for your suggestion, Charlotte. You are the "Queen of Vintage" in photography!

Your work uses a lot of vintage costumes, really, really vintage! There's a shop for "vintage" clothes here - I met the owners recently at a play - but I expect that will just go back to 10 years or so! 1900 is what I'd like!

I do use costumes for scenes I build from a number of shots of the woman wearing different clothes. But in general, these are all modern. Yes, I should go back in time and that will give more dimension!

Asher

James Lemon

Charlotte,

Thanks for visiting. I didn't consciously think of Sema Hyak, but, yes, that's there and more! She has a rich dusky beauty and is restrained and self confidant. Here's the original from which the headshot was made.

_MG_7194_2 full length.jpg

Asher Kelman: Jessica with Purple-throated Lilies[/I]

Natural Light Supplemented by Above Camera Canon Flash

I plan to do a lot more work with her.

Asher

I really like this and the setting ! There are many, many things you can try! It would be nice to see a sort of image that would somehow depict an environment that a painter might paint.

Charlotte Thompson

Asher
I did some research on vintage 1910 fashion and found 3 i thought might be idea for her and mostly because I think this may be your style as well- elegant reserve with a hint of indulgence.

1910 Russian cut velvet evening coat

Edwardian Linen lace walking suit 1910

Edwardian evening gown 1912

Charlotte Thompson

she would be perfect for any one of these... or something close to them the idea of vintage 1910-
any who just what I see her as this time- O screen play! Drama. Drama.

C.

Robert Watcher

As an introduction to the woman ---- she is quite beatuful and striking looking. But as for the posing - from a professional selling point of view, it is not flattering. Her shoulders are very square and hunched up into her neck and expression a little lifeless or maybe uninterested. As an example with shoulders, while you may not be able to turn them a bit in this settng, which would be ideal - you could find a way to relax the shoulders and provide a slight horizontal tilt from one side to the other, and maybe not having the elbows squeezed in so tightly to her side.

The lighting is little too evenly well lit. Particulary noticable on the full length where her knees and lower torso are bright and grab the focus of attention (also may be a bit pronounced because of your wider focal length choice of 50mm). Controling the lighting so it falls off on the extremities of the body, would make such a difference. Her facial features and tonality of skin and hair could really be used to good effect with control of lighting.

You know Asher that I don't critique or express personal comments often --- but being that comments ahave been along the lines of how nice the portrait is - and in fairness to a couple of other members whom I have been straight forward with because I either saw their desire to improve or as is the case with your beautiful model and setting, I see potential ---- I offer my opinion being this style of photography is right up my professional alley.

It will be interesting to see your further photographic works with her. When you have full control over the setting, posing, and lighting ---- minute and what even may seem as trivial changes, can make huge differences.

Asher Kelman

Thanks for your feedback, Robert!

She wants a look of "attitude" and stubbornness here but all your points are good. She came with her mother who brought a giant apple pie as a "peace offering" for her presence, but my current studio is small for adding the presence of a stocky mother, so I just used the natural light of a 15ft skylight in the living room with a reflector at one side and a Canon flash on my camera. This was done just to cut out the headshot so her Drama professor could have something.

I really value your good eye and experience and appreciate straightforward feedback!

There's more to come.

Asher

Jerome Marot

Jessica is certainly a beautiful young women and, what makes it more interesting, of an unconventional type of beauty, but what will be the point of the exercise?

It is an important question, yet often overlooked.

You can, of course, simply take a portrait. Then the point is to render her as she is or, maybe, as she wants to be. But who is going to be interested in that, then, beyond the people who know her? Antonio, I think, took portraits in that vein. Faced with that same problem, he evaded it by choosing local celebrities or people representing their trade. Then the interestingness is given beyond the immediate circle of friends.

Alternatively, you could take more than a portrait. Allow me to illustrate:

afghan-girl-615.jpg

788px-Lange-MigrantMother02.jpg

++helmut-newton-.png

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

From your mind and kind wishes to my own brain and hands!! The first two pictures were sampled from immense personal loss and deprivation. The latter from a man emerged from draconian history to enlightenment! Yet these are all examples of superb photography that are the iconic standards we reach for in measuring work.

I wish you could also show me pictures of Pasteur, Einstein, Satre and Bernhard and then I would be really accomplished,LOL!

But your thoughts are in the right direction! Thanks for the stimulus!

My pictures of Jessica are much more modest in goal. Suffice to say that she arrived! We'll work together hopefully, in time,make wonderful pictures, work that fascinates and draws your eye further.

Asher

Jerome Marot

Maybe I was misunderstood.

I only cited these iconic pictures because they, in my opinion, show very clearly how and why portraits can be something more than the simple representation of the person. They are, in my opinion again, clear samples of images with a message.

Sure, they are iconic. They are iconic for the very reason that they work so well. And that is also the reason why they are good sample to learn: the messages are loud and clear.

Coming back to Jessica and the sample pictures: is there any emotion she would impersonate? That would be a first possibility and would go in the directions of the first two pictures. It does not need to be the same emotions, of course. Alternatively, is there a short story you could built with her (and possibly other people)? That would be a second possibility and would go in the direction of the third picture.

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

You were clear and I understood, just these are indeed magnificently seen and made and set a high bar for us to reach. OTOH, we must set for ourselves goals that stretch our ideas and move what we imagine are boundaries, so I thank you again for your help to a fellow photographer on his own journey. It's always helpful to set great goals!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Jessica is indeed a beautiful woman. And you have captured her well.

Of the images presented, the first one captures more of what type of woman you say is, than the others.

Now, I am an admirer of Steve's work. But in all honesty he got lucky here. Most of us do not get the opportunity to be in a war zone, or be presented with such opportunities. And most of us do not have the marketing machine to bring our photographs to a wider audience. This is indeed iconic, but more
Out of luck than anything else. No doubt the photo is technically excellent. But not beyond the prowess
Of many.

Now Ms. Lange's photo. Wonderful, simply wonderful. In its simplicity and its message.

In your first photograph, Asher, I would have moved in close. The surroundings, of what there is, is superfluous and just detracts from the main subject. Look at Steve's Afghan girl photo, focused. Deep.
No distractions.

a stubborn girl? Capture her Stubborness and nothing else.

We might not be as good as Steve..but how many photographers get a chance to photograph intimately
In let's say, my country. Or spend time in Israel. That's how Steve got lucky.

I am just too lazy. And you?

Antonio Correia

After all Fahim... we can sometimes be very, but very pragmatic and summarize:

It's all about the money you have and can spend !

Then you are - sometimes - a large step ahead !

fahim mohammed

True, to a large extent my friend.

But not necessary.

Good subjects can be found around the corner. And a good photographer makes the best of that.

Your portraits theme proves that.

Best.