• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tripping the Light Fantastic

Chris Calohan

I have long been intrigued by light and movement. I think a great deal of this comes from sitting behind a cinescope editing mountains of film, reeling it back and forth until just the right segment could be cut and taped in place. I have two artists who also have intrigued me since I was a wee child in high school: Marcel Duchamp and Edward Hopper. While distinctively different in style, the illusion or perhaps the allusion of both movement and the attention to light are very much incorporated into all of their works.

I was at Universal Studios in Orlando, Friday night and while traveling on the people movers (like those found in many large airports) I started a short series of shots whereas I rested the camera on the moving handrail, vibration and all, and began a series of differing exposures. The two presented in this series are harbingers of things to come as I plan to go back with a tripod and shoot an entire body of work just on these people movers.

There are two mover assemblies, north and south, so to speak with regular walkways on three sides. these two captures involve my carrier heading north, a static walkway between and a carrier heading south. I was a bit stymied by only having a 28mm and plan on going back with a 14-24 2.8.

14053460693_5303d85224_o_d.jpg

Dressed Woman Maneuvering a Walkway: Chris Calohan

14033894854_67e20c8b07_o_d.jpg

Nighthawks: Chris Calohan​

Robert Watcher

So I love movement shots like these. As far as striking a chord with me, the second shot does more that the first. I really like the woman in blue dress - the shape and movement. Also I prefer the large post balancing out the frame.

My problem with that shot though, are the bright people in behind her causing much confusion and directing my attention away from where it should be. I think could have been a strong image if the woman had a simpler, darker background.

If the camera position couldn't have been moved to get a better angle, perhaps firing the shutter a moment earlier when she was against the background showing on the left/center of the frame. Anyway - it is always fun to try different techniques.

You may have found a good location here to go back to and patiently find a perfect shot. Thanks for posting and asking for critique. I try to only voice my views when I see potential - which I see in your photos.

Chris Calohan

Thanks, Robert. The second one was more to my color and light preferences as found in Edward Hopper's work.

14012211816_a37dff3f27_b_d.jpg

Most of this is calibrated by chance as much as skill. This is one of the reasons I want to go back with a tripod and a 14-24 so I can have a wee bit more control over the positioning of the light.

Robert Watcher

Chris - here is a video that you may enjoy. Adam is a strong proponent of setting up in a great location and lighting setup, and then waiting for the subjects to be in the right place for capturing the decisive moment. In this way, the result will seldom be by chance. I am a quick shooter, so don't necessarily always follow this type of strategy - - - but I can see the benefits of it. The video is targeted at talking to strangers, but his ideas are valuable for all:

http://youtu.be/mJHfT7lYqCo?t=28m33s

----------