Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Photojournalism - Street - Documentary

Old May 15th, 2018, 12:11 PM

Default Pushing micro four thirds to the limit

Normally I would just put my camera away in such dark areas as I was walking on this night. But I had nothing to lose, so set my cheap consumer Olympus E-M10 to Monochrome (black and white) mode - cranked the ISO to the max of 12,800 - set aperture to the largest possible of f3.5 at the wide end of my 14-42mm kit lens —— and fired away at anything interesting while I walked the street. Quality isn’t the greatest obviously, but with such poor lighting it would be unlikely to get great shots with any camera. Artistic - now that is a different story.

Processing was done by sending the selected images wirelessly to my iPad Air and processing them in the Snapseed app, then uploaded to gifyu.com for linking to on the web.

All 12,800ISO

Old May 15th, 2018, 12:25 PM

Old May 15th, 2018, 12:34 PM

On the previous night, I stood at a busy intersection with slightly more street light, and used one of my favourite settings on my Olympus cameras - the Grainy Film black and white filter with the frame edge. I set my ISO to 8,000 and the format to 6x6.

All 8,000ISO

Old May 15th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Robert, the first set of image is fabulous, in the order of importance, subjectand the way it is caught is far above the IQ!
Old May 15th, 2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Claris View Post
Robert, the first set of image is fabulous, in the order of importance, subjectand the way it is caught is far above the IQ!
Thank you very much Nicolas.
Old May 15th, 2018, 11:31 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

In a movie, the composition doesn’t matter but bad sound ruins it.

With B&W stills, there are two approaches. Technically perfect lighting and everything important in focus with a balanced distribution of tonalities from the brightest whites to the darkest blacksxand everything in between.

The other approach is the capturing of subject matter that is so interesting, intriguing and compelling that standards of craftsmanship in texture and tone are irrelevant. This is what you have proven in worth here, Robert. You celebrate human beings and to me, that trounces technical prowess in workmanship of classic scholarly prints any time.

Your work has vibrance and pulsing life. We are able to make up the intervening missing frames and construct a pretty fabulous movie from this collection.

Bravo for the real humanity here!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 16th, 2018, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post

With B&W stills, there are two approaches. Technically perfect lighting and everything important in focus with a balanced distribution of tonalities from the brightest whites to the darkest blacksxand everything in between.

The other approach is the capturing of subject matter that is so interesting, intriguing and compelling that standards of craftsmanship in texture and tone are irrelevant. This is what you have proven in worth here, Robert. You celebrate human beings and to me, that trounces technical prowess in workmanship of classic scholarly prints any time.

Your work has vibrance and pulsing life. We are able to make up the intervening missing frames and construct a pretty fabulous movie from this collection.

Bravo for the real humanity here!

Asher
Thanks Asher
Old May 16th, 2018, 11:07 AM
Administrator

I once made some shots the way you did these Robert, but I was in India under nice weather in a sunny day. With the 5D and the 16-35 lens. They have been published in Lenswork Extended.
This is a completely different approach to street photography as the conditions are pretty different.
My option goes always by shooting raw all the time and process later on, even when I want black and white which in fact, I am going to do less and less...
Thank you for posting your work Robert ! :)
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
I once made some shots the way you did these Robert, but I was in India under nice weather in a sunny day. With the 5D and the 16-35 lens. They have been published in Lenswork Extended.
This is a completely different approach to street photography as the conditions are pretty different.
My option goes always by shooting raw all the time and process later on, even when I want black and white which in fact, I am going to do less and less...
Thank you for posting your work Robert ! :)
Thank you Antonio
Old May 16th, 2018, 11:03 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Hello Asher, what do you mean by "composition"?
Image framing or music editing?
Old May 20th, 2018, 11:44 AM

I do like the grittiness,tones,processing and the theme of these images!
Old May 20th, 2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lemon View Post
I do like the grittiness,tones,processing and the theme of these images!
Thanks James