• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fuji X-Shooters Get a New Home on OPF!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
_DSF0764.jpg

Pagani Huayra
Captured in jpeg fine mode at ISO 200

Alain,

Thanks for all the details on the making of this remarkable image. It's a joy to see this and impressive that it's just with a little black camera that no one would claim is stealing the show! I visited the rest of the images from your link and am impressed at the trophies you have!

Best of all is Natalie!

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Thank you Asher. It's a great little camera, and elegant as well, but it has its limitations. I can't push the image as far as I can with the Phase one digital backs, or even as far as with Canon DSLRs. When I do it starts to show some strange posterization effect, particularly visible in clouds and converting to B&W exagerates this effect. Here's an example:

Saguaro-BW-Detail-1.jpg

This is part of an image which is posted below

Asher Kelman

Blackstone-Saguaro-Collage-1-BW-600.jpg

Fuji X100s, collage of 2 vertical captures
ISO 200, f5.6, 1/25th sec.​

I think the anti-vignetting software adjustments in the camera already add 2 stops of light correction and so one has that much less headroom for post processing, I guess.

The picture itself is excellent. I struggle to identify the artifacts as it could be that there are mountains on the left, or else worms in the sky.

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
It's not technically posterization, that's just the word I am using to describe the effect. The bottom line is that the clouds don't have the soft quality they have when photographed with a digital back, or even a DSLR. The best way to show the difference is to take the same photo with the X100s and a DSLR or digital back.

Asher Kelman

It's not technically posterization, that's just the word I am using to describe the effect. The bottom line is that the clouds don't have the soft quality they have when photographed with a digital back, or even a DSLR. The best way to show the difference is to take the same photo with the X100s and a DSLR or digital back.

Well Alain,

Then your photograph is home, scotfree! :)

In a gallery, no one could produce the same picture taken with another camera, LOL! I doubt whether anyone would venture to judge the image on criteria of technical imperfection! If so, most of modern work would be excluded!

Asher

Asher Kelman

There's a critically significant development inherent in the new Fuji mirrorless camera flagship from fuji, the The Fujifilm X-T1.

Besides being weatherproof it boasts an OLED panel with a claimed lag time of 0.005 seconds, presumably this is in the EVF and not just the back panel screen. I must read more. In any case, that just announced figure for reappearance of the action on the screen is a new benchmark that will be noticed by others. If Sony could replicate this with the the next A7 models, we'd have a major advance. Such fluidity can be an important advantage on social photography. Getting the peak moments is easier when one has essentially continuous vision on one's target of interest.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

There's a critically significant development inherent in the new Fuji mirrorless camera flagship from fuji, the The Fujifilm X-T1.

Besides being weatherproof it boasts an OLED panel with a claimed lag time of 0.005 seconds, presumably this is in the EVF and not just the back panel screen. I must read more. In any case, that just announced figure for reappearance of the action on the screen is a new benchmark that will be noticed by others. If Sony could replicate this with the the next A7 models, we'd have a major advance. Such fluidity can be an important advantage on social photography. Getting the peak moments is easier when one has essentially continuous vision on one's target of interest.

I am so glad to see attention being given to effective shutter release time, including the impact of latency in the viewing organ.

You will recall my metaphor from the days when we were shooting with a Fuji S602 Z, "By the time the shutter fired, the councilman had taken his hand off the mayor's knee."

And thanks for not calling the back panel screen "the LCD". Even when it is an LCD, it is not always the only one, as in an EOS 40D, or in the many cameras where the EVF uses an LCD.

Now whether the 5 ms latency is the actual viewing latency (implies for one thing a sensor refresh rate of at least 200 Hz) or merely for the display panel itself (only part of the story) remains to be seen.

Best regards,

Doug

Alain Briot

pro member
Both-Blackstone-Saguaros.jpg

Vision can create completely different interpretations of the same subject. The same saguaro is featured in the two images above. However, the color and the black and white image each represent a different vision of the scene.

Fuji X100s, ISO 200​

Asher Kelman

I shall stick with my XE-1, for some time to come.

Camera bodies come and go..I would rather buy a lens than the new X-T1.

Fahim,

Where do you see the most practical improvements in the X-T1 if, as I presume, you looked over any reports and descriptions?

Is the main improvement the very fast refresh of the electronic eye view display?

Asher

fahim mohammed

Fahim,

Where do you see the most practical improvements in the X-T1 if, as I presume, you looked over any reports and descriptions?

Is the main improvement the very fast refresh of the electronic eye view display?

Asher

The EVF is a biggy, along with its vertical portrait
Orientation.

The tilt and swivel screen.

The weather sealing.

Support for high speed cards and 8 fps.

Magnesium alloy body. Lighter and smaller.

I am an old foggy, and a camera built from the
Ground up with the most important variables
In photography, for me, laid out on top dials makes me
Feel right at home. And there are times when I do hanker
To feel a slr form factor in between my hands.

But as I mentioned previously I shall wait and see.

No rush. On a personal note, my MP/M7 for film
And the fuji X for digital rings my chimes.

And travel to the East, where film is still strong, is
Something I would love to have with me.

Regards.