• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Backwater And Dugouts

Peter Dexter

I'm not sure if I've already posted this, if I have, beg pardon. This is a backwater in the village of El Valle in the Chocó department of Colombia.

33774889256_6f08a4aa72_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I'm not sure if I've already posted this, if I have, beg pardon. This is a backwater in the village of El Valle in the Chocó department of Colombia.

33774889256_6f08a4aa72_b.jpg

Peter,

Never seen this before, as far as I can remember and it is worth the wait. A lot of texture and a sense of scrapping against the elements for survival. I hope you have many more documenting this location as it is unique and interesting.

This seems really a backwater in more ways than one. It's not merely a place where water flows slowly, but, it the pace of life too!

Are those canoes hand-hewn? They're leaning against the huts like kids would leave a bicycle around a school playground. What is the world like here that they can make a living? Is it a good fishing area at least?

Asher

Asher Kelman

?

Ahah, Peter! You did say "dugouts", after all. So I presume that is the same as hand-hewn!

To me, here in continually "happy" California, a "dugout" is a polished wooden pocketable device for holding weed surreptitiously, so one can "toke" with less public notice! Apart from that, it's the place where baseball players wait their turn to bat! But then, ....... it also works for boats carved out of a single huge log!

Ashe

Peter Dexter

Asher what a thoughtful analysis! The village is by the sea and fishing is the principal activity however there is another form of fishing as the high speed drug boats pass off shore on their way to Central America and when they are spotted by the the Colombian Coast Guard they dump the goods which wash up on the shores of this village. You couldn't call it a steady income though and the army makes daily patrols along the beaches making getting rich quick more difficult. I didn't know about the other use for "dug out", thank you for that.

James the nearest "hospital" is about an hour away over unpaved road. I used to fantasize about living simply in places like this but now at advanced age hospital distance is a big priority.

Asher Kelman

How long have you spent there?

Must be a lot of fabulous shots of the fishermen coming and going. Do they use bents between canoes?

Did you get to meet anyone?

You could write a thriller there that would be a best seller!

Asher

Peter Dexter

I[ve made three visits. The first was seventeen years ago. The last two just last year. Apart from fishing there is income from tourism as both Colombians and foreigners come to see whales during migration. The village has grown and is much better off than years ago. On my first trip I thought this is as far as you can get from the world and still be in it.

Asher Kelman

I[ve made three visits. The first was seventeen years ago. The last two just last year. Apart from fishing there is income from tourism as both Colombians and foreigners come to see whales during migration. The village has grown and is much better off than years ago. On my first trip I thought this is as far as you can get from the world and still be in it.

What facilities are there to cater for tourists and whale watchers? Is there another part of town behind where you were standing to take this picture?

Asher