• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Brienz Church - Lake Brienz, Switzerland '16

Paul Abbott

I have just got back from a two week vacation in the Swiss Alps, a very active but relaxing holiday with an added dose of 'wanderlust'...ranging from my lowest point at 2,000ft to my highest at 15,000ft.

brienzchurchcloned1600.jpg

Brienz Church - Lake Brienz, Switzerland '16 - Paul Abbott

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have just got back from a two week vacation in the Swiss Alps, a very active but relaxing holiday with an added dose of 'wanderlust'...ranging from my lowest point at 2,000ft to my highest at 15,000ft.

Paul,

You have done well in this series of churches in Europe. This one is beautifully situated above a lake and made of small stones, likely quarried locally. This is very rectilinear. I do not know the architectural style, but I'd imagine economical to build. The massive billowing cloud above and the abundant foliage of the trees makes for a bucolic scene.

But I now miss the village streets and the people. Hopefully, these were part of your collection too!

Asher

Paul Abbott

Asher, I wasn't able to photograph much of Brienz's streets, due to the weather and the awful occurrence of the motor car constantly getting in the shot. They're the bane of my photographic life and are hideous, especially when there was such an 'oldy worldy' representation in the housing on offer...and flowers, flowers everywhere to be photographed. :)

Andy brown

Paul, great set of images you've put up. Really excellent.

This one is troubling me a bit though.
It's probably an illusion but I'm getting the feeling you've straightened the verticals a bit and the spire looks stretched somehow.

Like I said, it's probably only in my brain and still a lovely shot but it's not quite sitting right for me.

Paul Abbott

Hey Andy, I noticed that too, it does look a little odd, compressed and hanging back, so to speak.
I have currently been using LR6 and i'm still currently finding my way around it, especially here with it's perspective correction.

Thanks...

Asher Kelman

Paul,

It takes a double look to realize that there might be some perspective issues with the tall church tower, taken at a low angle. This is one case where a tilt-shift 24mm lens and use of a tripod would be worth the hassle.

The GR is so convenient and pocketable that I myself leave my larger Canon bodies at home. But it is so much easier to have everything upright out of the camera.

Still, it's only on a second pass, enjoying the riches of your Switzerland collection of landscapes that I stumbled on this minor but significant issue.

Why did I miss it first time around?

Love makes us blind, of course!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Paul,

It takes a double look to realize that there might be some perspective issues with the tall church tower, taken at a low angle.

Why am I not seeing this?

Of course I am looking at the shot from a very high elevation.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Why am I not seeing this?

Of course I am looking at the shot from a very high elevation.

Best regards,

Doug

It is not orthogonal, even with perspective changes. But you have to be a little older and cantankerous and ornary to notice it!

Asher