Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique

Studio, Portrait, Still Life, Lighting Equipment and Technique Continuous and Strobe Lighting. (The Sun is considered continuous!) Great ideas are really ten a penny! Technique in setting up the subject is, of course, essential. However, the ability to bring out form, texture, tonality and color is where the skill in lighting provides all the keys to engraving one's ideas on the delivered picture.

Old July 20th, 2017, 01:17 AM

Default Flash question

Flash question,
I have 2 canon 600ex-rt's, and a yn-e3-rt trigger, I also have 4 yn622c triggers with the yn622tx master, I sometimes use these for firing my alienbee along with my 600's for added fill etc, so my question begins, I'm trying to get away from hauling my alienbee around and the different triggers, so to get a faster recycle time out of my speedlights I want to have 4 mounted on a stand and set to 1/8th power to math the full power of 1 flash, as I was saying I have 2 600ex-rt would I be better off getting two yongnuo 600ex-rt's or going to a different strobe, perhaps a white lightening 1600 thanks
Old July 20th, 2017, 08:56 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Phillips View Post
Flash question,
I have 2 canon 600ex-rt's, and a yn-e3-rt trigger, I also have 4 yn622c triggers with the yn622tx master, I sometimes use these for firing my alienbee along with my 600's for added fill etc, so my question begins, I'm trying to get away from hauling my alienbee around and the different triggers, so to get a faster recycle time out of my speedlights I want to have 4 mounted on a stand and set to 1/8th power to math the full power of 1 flash, as I was saying I have 2 600ex-rt would I be better off getting two yongnuo 600ex-rt's or going to a different strobe, perhaps a white lightening 1600 thanks
Michael,

Welcome to OPF and thanks for the challenging question!

For faster recycling time, just buy a power pack from Lumedyne.com!

More important is your arrangement of lights and what other lighting there is. Are you photographing indoors, in the street, the beach with backlighting at noon or at setups like a board meeting or an engagement party or wedding.

The purpose and conditions of the shot are the deciding factor not recycling times.

Show some examples of the kind of situations where you need this setup.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 20th, 2017, 11:02 PM

Michael,

Welcome to OPF and thanks for the challenging question!

For faster recycling time, just buy a power pack from Lumedyne.com!

More important is your arrangement of lights and what other lighting there is. Are you photographing indoors, in the street, the beach with backlighting at noon or at setups like a board meeting or an engagement party or wedding.

The purpose and conditions of the shot are the deciding factor not recycling times.*

Show some examples of the kind of situations where you need this setup.

Hi Asher, thanks for the welcome. Your right there's alot of variables that come to play here without specific information, I'll try to elaborate a little more, I only need the fast recycle times in doing fast action like skate boarding, and BMX racing etc, where I need 6 frames a sec for a quick burst of 5 to 8 frames, otherwise yea 1 sec would be fine in a portrait environment. And yes I have the ep-e4 packs for field use but in order to get my faster recycle times I need to be like 1 to 8th power with 3 flashes and about 6 to 8 ft away and this changes of course with available ambient light. It's trial and error cause it's not a studio situation, I believe it's just gonna take more practice I have much better luck at manual mode and flash at 160th iso 400 f7.1 or 8 or 10ft distance. Thanks for the help
Old July 21st, 2017, 08:08 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

6/second is very fast!

Just remember you can under-expose up to a stop with today's cameras and recover in RAW processing!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old July 21st, 2017, 11:48 PM

Default Under expose

I can almost bet I'll be under exposed, on many a shot.. thanks..