Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > The Gear > Storage - Memory

Storage - Memory All devices that are used to store image data.

Old April 14th, 2014, 07:24 PM

Default SD content directly to External

Hi there long time no see , hope all are well.

Very strange question , but I need a solution for something.
I wish if there is any way to get files from a SD card or CF , directly from the card
to a external hard drive , WITHout the use a laptop.

Camera in question = Canon 5D Mark III ,

I need to backup the RAWS and JPEGS from the SD card to a large external hard disk

I guess I could just buy from large SD cards , these days 64 Gigs are not that expensive , but I need
more than that.

Thanks a lot

Ralph
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:58 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Honsbeek View Post

I wish if there is any way to get files from a SD card or CF , directly from the card

Camera in question = Canon 5D Mark III ,

I need to backup the RAWS and JPEGS from the SD card to a large external hard disk Thanks a lot
Ralph,

Welcome back! Let's get you more active here. Although we love to share info on gear, we do best in sharing photography! so go through your library and pick some favorites and find a thread or a theme where they could go or start a new thread of your own! We'd simply love that.

To portable storage devices for use in the field. Right now the best price I can see is for the Digital Foci PST 251 with a 500GB drive. at just $149. It is independent and does not need any computer to work. If you can find a new old stock NEXT TO by with no colored screen, that would be the most economical and bullet proof as I know that brand is reliable. The Digital foci brand is new to me but carried by B&H so it must meet minimal standards or they's not bother.

There are many options today. They have various names like "a digital wallet". I own three!

Here's a link to some options. With a larger capacity, you get down to about $0.50 to $1.00 per GB.

My NEXT-TO has no screen as it really serves no purpose in the field. If you don't need to chimp images in the device, you can save.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:58 AM

Thank you for you kind feedback
Old April 16th, 2014, 11:38 AM
pro member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Honsbeek View Post

Hi Ralph,

Another popular storage device for backing up Raws when traveling is the Sanho Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA2. It also checks the integrity of a number of Raw formats, and does a lot of verifications to make sure the data was copied without errors, but does so relatively fast.

They also offer a version without disk, and you can shop for a cheaper disk than a pre-installed version and simply build it in yourself. Check a local reseller for a good price.

Cheers,
Bart
Old April 17th, 2014, 01:52 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_van_der_Wolf View Post
Hi Ralph,

Another popular storage device for backing up Raws when traveling is the Sanho Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA2. It also checks the integrity of a number of Raw formats, and does a lot of verifications to make sure the data was copied without errors, but does so relatively fast.
Bart,

I have the version as well and it is reliable. Just that the menu is not as fluid as yhe simplest NEXT TO, which, if you can find it, has no color viewing screen for looking at your pictures. But it's simpler to use and very reliable. Only issue is that you might not be able to find one so easilly!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:00 AM

I have a digital foci, probably bought from B&H and it works OK though I have taken to using a laptop. I found it quite slow to download but then it's at least five years old and probably not indicative of current models.