• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

tripod heid

Mark Hampton

I am looking for a Tripod heid to fit -

Manfrotto 117 -

I have a 5d mark2 / 90 mm lens and *2 converter - so it needs to be able to deal with that weight

- I dont do painos - so that's not a consideration.

started looking at stuff on the interweb but i dont ken enough about tripod heads to make an informed decision.

thanks in advance to anyone replying

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mark,

Does heid=head? :)

If so we're looking for a tripod head. Many photographers today have switched entirely to Arca Swiss mounts. Generally one has an L bracket on the camera, or else just an adapter with the dovetail Arca Swiss male fitting, screwed into the tripod mount. The camera can be used either landscape or portrait postion with an L mount.

I have used Really Right Stuff fittings, but one can use Kirk or Sunway. The latter are really well made. I own a large big brother to the Manfrotto plus a very light travel tripod. In each case I use a head that works with any of the Arca Swiss dovetail adapters.

So I'd look at prices of RRS, Kirk and Sunfoto. With your tripod one can level pretty well with the leg central arm adjustment strut and the length of that leg. So one needs either

No head, just an Arca Swiss type female clamp to receive and capture the L bracket on the camera or the single dovetail adapter used instead.

A leveling platform: this allows about 14 degrees of adjustment.

A rotating capability

A head with ability to adjust level and drop over from landscape to portrait if one does not use an L bracket. This can be a ball joint or else a number of screw or clamp xyz axes controls.
We discussed all of these here and the Sunway here.

Read those and then I'll check through my gear and make some suggestions. first you have to decide whether or not you want to go along with Arca Swiss adapters. That's the first decision.

Asher

Mark Hampton

Mark,

Does heid=head? :)

If so we're looking for a tripod head. Many photographers today have switched entirely to Arca Swiss mounts. Generally one has an L bracket on the camera, or else just an adapter with the dovetail Arca Swiss male fitting, screwed into the tripod mount. The camera can be used either landscape or portrait postion with an L mount.

I have used Really Right Stuff fittings, but one can use Kirk or Sunway. The latter are really well made. I own a large big brother to the Manfrotto plus a very light travel tripod. In each case I use a head that works with any of the Arca Swiss dovetail adapters.

So I'd look at prices of RRS, Kirk and Sunfoto. With your tripod one can level pretty well with the leg central arm adjustment strut and the length of that leg. So one needs either

No head, just an Arca Swiss type female clamp to receive and capture the L bracket on the camera or the single dovetail adapter used instead.

A leveling platform: this allows about 14 degrees of adjustment.

A rotating capability

A head with ability to adjust level and drop over from landscape to portrait if one does not use an L bracket. This can be a ball joint or else a number of screw or clamp xyz axes controls.
We discussed all of these here and the Sunway here.

Read those and then I'll check through my gear and make some suggestions. first you have to decide whether or not you want to go along with Arca Swiss adapters. That's the first decision.

Asher

Asher,

not really looking for L braket or Arca swiss stuff - looks like their for serious photographers :) ... i could get a good laptop for the cost and c more benefit..

I have at the moment an old video heid - i lost the screw thing - so was just going to get a new heid instead as i cant find a double locking nut thingamgyjig (this is the best google search).

I had a look at the Manfrotto 322RC2 ball head - it looks fine. never used a ball head but seems easy... and its cheep on the interweb.

i guess the one issue with this type of joint is the locking better be good...

any thoughts on this type ov heid !

Asher Kelman

O.K. I'll switch my thinking. Frankly the video heads are marvelous, smooth to use and have cranks. Not to expensive and often just as cheap to buy the entire tripod with the head. Still, your Manfroto is a superior and very stable tripod with those locking arms.

I'd look for an inexpensive video head. This one holds 11 lb

41TbjWEf%2BJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Manfrotto 391RC2 Junior Head

It has one main arm and several other small ones. I use 2 video tripods for cameras in addition to my large Manfrotto and Gitzo. They are a pleasure! Just need to make sure the grip in that model is good. So find one in a local store and test before buying online.

Here in the USA, buying from Amazon right for US$ 69.89 here or B&H, they always accept returns when something is wrong.

Asher

Mark Hampton

O.K. I'll switch my thinking. Frankly the video heads are marvelous, smooth to use and have cranks. Not to expensive and often just as cheap to buy the entire tripod with the head. Still, your Manfroto is a superior and very stable tripod with those locking arms.

I'd look for an inexpensive video head. This one holds 11 lb

41TbjWEf%2BJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It has one main arm and several other small ones. I use 2 video tripods for cameras in addition to my large Manfrotto and Gitzo. They are a pleasure! Just need to make sure the grip in that model is good. So find one in a local store and test before buying online.

Here in the USA, buying from Amazon right for US$ 69.89 here or B&H, they always accept returns when something is wrong.

Asher

that looks like it will do the job. I'll have a look.

cheers

Jerome Marot

That particular video head is not very stable. I would not use it for photography. The problem is the overhang of the fixation plate.

If one wants a stable, light and cheap head, nothing beats the 240 (or any of its cheaper copies):

51DCZTJFBSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

but the tripod must allow rotation of the head since it only tilts. In a tripod of mine, that involved removing a locking pin on the central column.

Asher Kelman

That particular video head is not very stable. I would not use it for photography. The problem is the overhang of the fixation plate.

Are you implying that there's leverage because of that and some spring effect and more vibration?

If one wants a stable, light and cheap head, nothing beats the 240 (or any of its cheaper copies):

51DCZTJFBSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

but the tripod must allow rotation of the head since it only tilts. In a tripod of mine, that involved removing a locking pin on the central column.

Well, unlocking that pin might bring back instability.

I'm not saying you're wrong about your concerns with the video head I suggested as you might have experience with it. I have used similar video heads with excellent results shooting at least 1/160 sec. However it also depends on having a shutter release cable or pocket wizard to minimize vibration.

Obviously the more stable a platform, the slower speed one can use. If I was concerned about the video head then I'd go for something like your solid suggestion, but with capability to rotate too.

Asher

Jerome Marot

Are you implying that there's leverage because of that and some spring effect and more vibration?

Yes, definitely. Mechanically, this is a problem.

Note that ball heads are a poor design as well, because every effort has to pass through the same point.

Well, unlocking that pin might bring back instability.

Not on that particular tripod.

I'm not saying you're wrong about your concerns with the video head I suggested as you might have experience with it. I have used similar video heads with excellent results shooting at least 1/160 sec. However it also depends on having a shutter release cable or pocket wizard to minimize vibration.

I rarely use a tripod, but when I do I always use a cable release and mirror up on a tripod. But this is not sufficient for long focals, because the movement of the shutter itself causes the vibration. Getting sharp images on a 500mm lens between 1/30 and 1/200 is difficult, unless you use a massive (=heavy) tripod and head. Now, on a particular occasion (hint: at the time I visited Shanghai), I needed absolute stability and had weight constraints. That little head was the solution, and I tested more than one.

Obviously the more stable a platform, the slower speed one can use. If I was concerned about the video head then I'd go for something like your solid suggestion, but with capability to rotate too.

It does not exist. The best you can do is that head on a rotating table. Quite surprisingly, with the number of tripods on the market, the industry does not manufacture a tripod able to support a 500mm lens and camera but with a weight under 1,5 Kg. Yet, it is possible with a sound mechanical design to do so: no ball head, no overhang and no central column is the secret. A careful choice of the rubber material on the camera plate is also necessary, it is rarely stiff enough. But all what we have are tripods which would be stiff enough if not used with a column and heads which need to weight at least 3Kg alone to be stiff enough.

Mark Hampton

Jerome / Asher,

thanks for the toughts and time - I think if I get a locking thumb screw then problems are solved - any ideas - cant find one online !

cheers

Yes, definitely. Mechanically, this is a problem.

Note that ball heads are a poor design as well, because every effort has to pass through the same point.

Not on that particular tripod.

I rarely use a tripod, but when I do I always use a cable release and mirror up on a tripod. But this is not sufficient for long focals, because the movement of the shutter itself causes the vibration. Getting sharp images on a 500mm lens between 1/30 and 1/200 is difficult, unless you use a massive (=heavy) tripod and head. Now, on a particular occasion (hint: at the time I visited Shanghai), I needed absolute stability and had weight constraints. That little head was the solution, and I tested more than one.

It does not exist. The best you can do is that head on a rotating table. Quite surprisingly, with the number of tripods on the market, the industry does not manufacture a tripod able to support a 500mm lens and camera but with a weight under 1,5 Kg. Yet, it is possible with a sound mechanical design to do so: no ball head, no overhang and no central column is the secret. A careful choice of the rubber material on the camera plate is also necessary, it is rarely stiff enough. But all what we have are tripods which would be stiff enough if not used with a column and heads which need to weight at least 3Kg alone to be stiff enough.

Mark Hampton

What do you mean by a locking thumb screw?

For maximum strength and stability, most photographic tripods are braced around a center post, with collapsible telescoping legs and a telescoping section at the top that can be raised or lowered. At the top of the tripod is the head, which includes the camera mount (usually a detachable plate with a thumbscrew to hold onto the camera), several joints to allow the camera to pan, rotate and tilt, and usually a handle to allow the operator to do so without jostling the camera. Some tripods also feature integrated remote controls to control a camcorder or camera, though these are usually proprietary to the company that built the camera.
from wilki page-

I need a locking thumb screw - its like a thinb screw with a locking nut - allows a secure fastening - does this help anyone identify the part I am looking for?

Jerome Marot

I suppose that you need this:

http://www.grandeventsphoto.com/store/photo/Photo_CameraScrew_Long.htm

They are screws with standard US threads, therefore difficult to find in Europe. You can probably order a replacement screw from a reputable tripod maker (Manfrotto, Gitzo...), but it may be cheaper to simply get a cheap head or mini-tripod and get the screw you need from there.
You could also buy this adapter (many camera shops have it on stock):
http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/screw_adaptors/hama_adaptor__3_8_inner_to1_4_outer_5121/4341_p.html and simply use it as a screw if it fits your head.

Mark Hampton

I suppose that you need this:

http://www.grandeventsphoto.com/store/photo/Photo_CameraScrew_Long.htm

They are screws with standard US threads, therefore difficult to find in Europe. You can probably order a replacement screw from a reputable tripod maker (Manfrotto, Gitzo...), but it may be cheaper to simply get a cheap head or mini-tripod and get the screw you need from there.
You could also buy this adapter (many camera shops have it on stock):
http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/screw_adaptors/hama_adaptor__3_8_inner_to1_4_outer_5121/4341_p.html and simply use it as a screw if it fits your head.

Jerome - I had a look at these - its like them but the nut bit moves if you ken what I mean :(