• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Who took that photograph?

I've had a mental block:
Who took that iconic photograph of the seemingly tangled (yet painstakingly arranged) large coils of rope spread out in the workshop? It came up in conversation with non-photographer friends, and I can't seem to track it down using conventional search engines.
Be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction,
John.

Maggie, thanks for your reply; unfortunately it is neither of those shots.
The photograph I'm trying to recollect was taken in The States not all that long ago. The photographer had obviously spent an inordinate amount of time constructing the shot, yet so cleverly that it looked natural. The shot is dominated by what seems a tangle of very large diameter rope.
There are a couple of men in the shot, in overalls if I remember correctly, adding to the workshop atmosphere. The composition, as in all iconic shots, is brilliant.
John.

Succinct and spot-on Jesse,

Indeed I was. Thanks so much; I can now get back to the people to whom I mentioned it. Trouble is, as it was three months ago, I've forgotten in what context it was! Ah well, maybe one of them will remember.

I note that I earlier thought the shot was taken in The States; wrong. Jeff Wall is from Vancouver. Fortuitously, in researching the shot and photographer further, I discovered that the National Gallery, here in Melbourne Australia, is currently running a Jeff Wall exhibition, with "Untangling" included:
http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/whats-on/exhibitions/exhibitions/jeff-wall-photographs

So how coincidental is that? I can go and see it as well!
Again thanks Jesse,
John.