• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

nothing special

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
... and simple.
But you can't pass by without using Fuji's monochrome jpeg engine ...

Wolfgang,

This is exotic but also an engineering feat which man has yet to duplicate!

Well all life is a miracle and these are our cousins! In a hundred million years or so, spiders developed silks engineered to withstand hurricanes and sustain local damage without altering the integrity of the remainder of the web structure!

Also the web is pretty transparent so that insects flying by do not suspect the trap!

The web you have shown here has a fabulous structure with perfect radiating straight lines ordering the radial spiral of silk to meet it in an ordered way, as if planned in a CAD program by an engineer!

Note that in some areas the web seems deficient. Actually the spider can afford to leave areas open as the radial silk, is the stronger element and that's wgmhat holds the structure in place.

This picture is awesome and so well taken and much appreciated!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Beautiful. I am not yet able to capture this type of detailing so, can you give me some idea how can I do it?

The web is invisible to most of us, most conditions, most of the time. One needs an oblique light to reflect of the silk. So move your head until you learn to see the fibers. You will do better early in the morning when there is dew or after light rain.

Then you need to support your camera as your plain of focus is narrow. The threads Are really thin, just 3–8 µm! Using a tiny aperture like f11 might help you at first to get some initial reward.

Asher

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi
Beautiful. I am not yet able to capture this type of detailing so, can you give me some idea how can I do it?

oh that's easy ... keep your eyes open ... no, honestly it's like Asher mentioned already.
You find them in the woods, between bushes and - like this one - in corners of windows or doors.