• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: Wood and metal

Doug Kerr

I took this shot for technical reasons only (so I could identify this apparatus), but when I looked at it on-screen, I was taken by the beautiful tones of the pole (almost brand new) and its contrast with the apparatus, and also by the accidental "high-key" look (the overcast sky almost blew out of its own accord).

VR_F06924R.jpg

This is a GE single-phase voltage regulator on a three phase distribution line into a rural area (there are three of them in the installation, on successive poles, probably 132 feet apart - no sense putting poles where you don't need them!)

These units are automatic tap-changing autotransformers. Their role is to send the power on its way at a "standard" voltage notwithstanding variations in the arriving voltage (caused by varying voltage drop due to loads along the line before this point).

The little "speedometer" dial on the top shows the current position of the tap changer and thus the transformer ratio. The 12 o'clock position we see indicates that the transformer is currently operating at 1:1 - the voltage sent along is the same as the voltage arriving. Each little bump on the scale represents an increment in ratio of 5/8% (of 1:1).

The little gray hands are pushed by the yellow hand, and serve to show the extremes of ratio (in the "raise" and "lower" directions) that have been called for since the hands were last reset (which is done electromagnetically from the control unit located at the bottom of the pole).

This is the full frame (downsampled). The only post processing was a little fiddling with the curves to fully blow out the background (although visually you couldn't really notice) and some sharpening after downsampling.

Doug Kerr

This perhaps should have been put in the Architectural/Industrial section. Moderators, please feel free to reassign it as appropriate.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Interesting Doug. Do you have a role in their placement or use? Or are you just very interested and knowledgable in this sort of thing? Is this some new technology that does something different and wonderful for us without most of us knowing it?
James Newman

Doug Kerr

Hi, James,

Interesting Doug. Do you have a role in their placement or use?
No, not at all. I had just noticed this installation of what at first looked like three distribution transformers at the edge of an open field (as if they were intended to serve houses never built there), but I saw a small housing on each pole near the ground, so I realized they might be something unusual.

Today I went by to look at them, and since they were back from the fence a bit, I thought I might need to take pictures of the apparatus and nameplates to find out just what they were, so I took along my trusty Canon EOS 40D.

I've done similar things many times! Last time the subsequent research gave me a lot of information on a new type of under-load circuit interrupter add-on used on high voltage transmission lines. I had seen them being installed at a nearby power substation, but couldn't quite figure out how they worked.

From the nameplate information I was able to identify them and find out a lot about them from the manufacturer's site and other places (including a great video of the older, less capable kind blowing up at a test site).

Or are you just very interested and knowledgable in this sort of thing?
Well, yes. (Not always knowledgeable in advance!)

Is this some new technology that does something different and wonderful for us without most of us knowing it?

No, in fact, as I mentioned, these have been around for well over 50 years.

Thanks for writing.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

Serendipity offers you a great background to use for this image if you so wish.

Clouds_F06880R.jpg

They might really go well together in an interesting combination that gets some of the feeling of both.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Terrifying, you said?

Clouds_F06880R_NC.jpg

[EDIT] Doug I hope you won't mind me to mix-up your 2 images together, I found, reading different comments that it could illustrate quite well there saying… If you mind I'll dlete this post without problem. In any cas thanks for your understanding… [/EDIT]

Doug Kerr

Hi, Nicolas,

Terrifying, you said?

Clouds_F06880R_NC.jpg

Doug I hope you won't mind me to mix-up your 2 images together, I found, reading different comments that it could illustrate quite well there saying… If you mind I'll dlete this post without problem. In any case thanks for your understanding…

No, it's fabulous, a great poster for the film gris, "The Attack of the 250-Foot VR-1".

Nicely executed.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Doug,

Serendipity offers you a great background to use for this image if you so wish.

Clouds_F06880R.jpg

They might really go well together in an interesting combination that gets some of the feeling of both.

Well, a great thought. I'll give it a try.

I'm sure what you have in mind isn't what Nicolas did, though.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Well, here's a quick try:

VR1_comp_01R.jpg

No need to worry - the GE VR-1 includes full varistor protection against any adverse affects of lightning induction

Obviously, my masking was a bit primitive, but it shows the possibilities.

Thanks, Asher, for recognizing the potential here.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Terrifying, you said?

Clouds_F06880R_NC.jpg

[EDIT] Doug I hope you won't mind me to mix-up your 2 images together, I found, reading different comments that it could illustrate quite well there saying… If you mind I'll dlete this post without problem. In any cas thanks for your understanding… [/EDIT]

This works magnificently, Nicolas!

This is a great example of being aware of what is to what might be. It is also part of what I refer to when I mention "openness" to new experience. Here we have said, my creation can exploit all of my images and use elements of each as building blocks to support and counterbalance each other in a strong construction.

I'm delighted to see this. I do note the technical quality of the edge of the trees is well done.

Doug,

Your version too is impressive. It all starts with being open and making choices. Good work!

Asher