• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Reading between the Lines: The Leica M9

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am surprised that even though for the first time ever, a digital full frame ( 35mm ) rangefinder has been
introduced to the market place and no mention of it here at OPF!

I also know at least one OPF forum member contributes to discussions re: RFs on other forums.

This introduction is no small feat. Kodak deserves all credit for having surmounted the technical challenges by creating the sensor in the M9. Only last year it was said, it could not be done!

Hopefully now the M9 will allow Leica lenses, arguably the best made for 35mm format photography by
any manufacturer, to really shine in the digital world.

Well done Leica and Kodak.

Hi Fahim,

First, I have only shot with the M8 and never knowingly been within spitting distance of the M9. However, in the several days, I have devoted considerable effort reading all the reviews I can find and looking at posted/linked images. This full frame, (FF), camera is an important addition to the Leica M 35mm line, something Leica engineers assured us couldn't be built because of the oblique angle of light rays that would hit the periphery of a FF sensor.

Essentially, this is my take:

The Good: Leica has finally come up with a good platform for those careful photographers who own an array of Leica glass, amongst the finest 35 MM FF lenses made. This involved solving a technical problem of capturing light so close the the back of the lens and at the periphery of the image plane. They did this through the obvious, but nevertheless genius solution of angled microlenses. With this obstacle removed, the full benefit of Leica's stellar optics can be imaged. The density of the sensels, 1.2/mm2 remains the same as with the M8. This innovation means that the full benefit of wide angle lenses is delivered. The new sensor has a stop more of light sensitivity. That might come to even 2 stops after post processing in C1 is optimized, but that's still just a hope, not an expectation. There's a built in IT filter that should take care of most of the IR issues plaguing the M8 (before Lecia gave out IR filters to abolish the purple color of the grooms who sneaks into his wedding with synthetic formal duds). A wonderful feature in accessories is has curved piece for the thumb to stabilize one's grip on the camera.

Downsides:

1. There are downsides to Leica's success in getting Kodak to build the first FF sensor. M8 shooters who chose lenses for their kind of work, matched the frame lines of the M8, with the reduced sensor size factor, now have lenses that give different results and are much wider! So why on earth should they upgrade if the camera, which is just a tool, allows them to do what they did well in the past year? For some, going wider and having an extra stop of light and more pixels might make a difference, but a lot of folk simply are too happy with what they already can deliver!

2. The color is still not quite right in the reds, but doubtless our Canadian Leica Wedding Photographer and moderator here, Jamie will no doubt create solutions for this as he valiantly did to rescue the M8.

It looks as if C1 with the updated profile will be a very good solution for M9 RAW files.

So how good is the M9? My reading is that it's now a matured camera that proudly leads the venerable M line of cameras. There will be a slew of issues that will be solved by firmware updates, of course. This is a gem of a camera capable of really leveraging on the superb glass that makes Leica so exclusive and able to demand a premium price. This is my preliminary opinion just from the images I have seen so far. If you can command the light on your subject, this camera is superb up to ISO 400, good at 640 and from then on workable until 2400. However, the higher levels are very sensitive to under-exposure with awful noise in the shadows. So in the hands of a careful photographer, this camera will allow you to view the scene with the right eye while the left sees the world in which your subject moves, the essence of the RF experience that Bresson so iconized. It's this experience, the finest lenses and a robust 14 BIT RAW file that one is paying a well-justified premium for with the M9.

However, current owners of the M8, especially who have methodology matched by their lenses and frame lines in the viewfinder should not rush to "upgrade", unless they find the print size is limiting their photography. The M9 gives a larger file but under good lighting, with Leica glass, so far, the only other practical difference seems to be that the DOF being slightly different.

Is it a cutting edge tool of the trade? Maybe for some, but to others it's flawed. Let me tell you where I feel that Lecia might possibly come up short as a choice for a pressured photographer in tough conditions. Take for example the war correspondent. Many today are freelance. These news photographers make a living getting relevant images from transient sightings in often dangerous circumstances. Squeezing into a humvee with a flash jacket, the line of buttons on the left of the M8 Lecia, could reset the camera functions so pictures were lost. The green-tinged useless images or the sequential images with totally different color balance might be solved in the M9 but the line of exposed buttons to the left of the LCD remains. (BTW, unlike the Lecia M8.2, the scratch resistant sapphire crystal shield is absent in the M9 flagship, go figure!).

Imagine risking life and limb to cross a dark street in a combat area to squeeze of a shot when the camera brushes against the flak jacket and the LCD screen lights up like a beacon making the reporter an easy target! Again, if shooting after a homicide bomber blows up 50 shoppers in a Bagdhad supermarket, when the police demand your SD memory card, one has to remove the baseplate of the camera and then try the old trick of handing the fellow an alternate card without him noticing it. With any other camera, one can have that card safely in a pocket as soon as one sees the guy eying you and moving in your direction!

The camera does well in good lighting. Most artistic photographers, wedding photographers know how to deal with their subjects, so if the rangefinder experience is what they want, then the M9 will do well. However, with other cameras being able to take advantage of Leica lenses, only the unique RF view of the world is missing from the front runners of new breed of cameras like the Panasonic GF 1. This camera has a smaller sensor than the G9, but will satisfy a lot of folk who already have a film Leica for full frame work. Hey, spend $900 on a state of the art new GF-1 Panasonic body and save $6,100 for a bunch new lenses!

Would I buy and M9 Cost aside, for me, I was hoping that the new camera would do well in three areas:

1. quiet shutter,
  2. high ISO performance with low noise
  3. ability to deliver in less than optimal lighting

Well, lets grant Leica has made the shutter quieter. I have to hear it at the store, but from recordings, I feel they have done a better job than with the M8. Is it quieter than the M8 1.2, I don't know yet. Still, lets assume that the M9 is now true to the M series breed of cameras that are great for surreptitious shooting, what else could I not like?

The picture quality of the Leica M9, at least from pictures, albeit mostly jpgs, shown/linked to on the web, is well below the standards set by Canon and Nikon above ISO 400 and certainly at and beyond ISO 1600. The images seem to show poor tolerance to under-exposure and this shows up as horrible shadows. So for my work, taking pictures at music performances lit from above, shadows on the face are a challenge and that's where I fear the Leica M9 might or might not be able to deliver good enough quality.

The 5DII, even in a blimp to muffle the mirror and shutter sounds, is a disturbance to the audience. Nevertheless, the Canon 5D II handles such difficult stage shots well. The the shadow-highlight filter, in Photoshop, is all one generally might need in post prtocessing. Sometimes noise reduction is also required. Still, the bottom line is one reliably has a picture that can be delivered to an editor for publications that a music and arts institute requires to thrive.

I'll try to get hold of an M9 for a tryout at the risk of my fears being unfounded and finding myself "needing" the little gem and its expensive lenses.

Asher

Let me stress, this report is solely gleaned from other reviews and links to Leica M9 files. My impressions are merely that and just my personal assessment today. With more knowledge and experience, I'll no doubt refine my ideas, but likely, beyond getting the color issues solved and optimizing RAW development, little is likely to change.

Last edited:
Hi Fahim,

First, I have only shot with the M8 and never knowingly been within spitting distance of the M9. However, in the several days, I have devoted considerable effort reading all the reviews I can find and looking at posted/linked images. This full frame, (FF), camera is an important addition to the Leica M 35mm line, ...

Hi Asher,

It is indeed too early to pass any kind of final judgement, on the actual image quality, and the technical compromises inherent in all designs. However, the M9 is what the M8 should have been. I do not understand the choice for an acrylic LCD cover though.

By having a custom designed CCD, it was possible to incorporate the IR filter with the chip. Thus it was possible to avoid the addition of an optical element in the path of light. There will probably still be a color cast issue (=color changing with angle of view), but that's presumably going to be addressed in postprocessing.

There is one compromise/complication that will continue to trouble certain images; aliasing artifacts, in the form of moiré and stairstepping. The close proximity of the exit pupil of the lens to the surface of the sensor coverplate, make it virtually impossible to add an Optical Low Pass Filter (OLPF or anti-aliasing filter) with current materials. Adding a direction sensitive optical element in the path of light would create too much loss of resolution which would also vary with the incident angle of light (and the cone of light from the exit pupil subtends a wide range of angles). Especially with good lenses these aliasing artifacts will hurt images of e.g. textile, and other regularly repeating patterns such as brick, shot at an angle. Sharp lines will show stairstepping artifacts. Software can only suppress part of the unwanted effects, the only real solution is an OLPF at the source.

Having said that, I'm sure that some fine images can be made with this new Leica M9, especially when one already has a number of lenses.

Bart

fahim mohammed

Leica, this time round, did nor position it as a rugged war-field camera. The only points I can make at this
time:

1. First full frame ( 35mm ) digital rangefinder.

2. put a f1 noctilux, iso 640 ( = 1250 for others ), no mirror slap for low handheld photography and
the advantage is obvious.

3. after having carried C/N Dslrs with a slew of their lenses..I would not carry them again, war zones or otherwise.
I, however, am not interested in tele,macro photography. That's just me. YMMV.

4. Price point is pretty fair ( cf top of the range C/N ).

5. for now, a M9, lux 35, lux 50 is all I need for my needs. maybe my cron 90 asph will come out of retirement. I do not need anything else.

6. Weight, size..weight size..weight size.

Everyone will have different needs, and whether it makes sense for others as a cost/benefit/value
equation is upto each individual.

But I hope leica succeeds. They deserve a home run. I doubt the X1 will do it.

My personal feelings.

Michael Fontana

pro member
I haven't had the Leica bacillus, but I quite like this very special brand.

And yes, the newest red dotet camera might be very good in the hand of some photographers, actually, for Fahim, the M9 might be a dream.For sure, beeing FF-rangefinder and digital, its a new step.

For other photographers, it just might be the wrong tool.

Looking at the picture examples, I found the low iso photos pretty good - the high ISO a bit weak, and would have liked especially for this type of freehand-camera high-ISO better. But maybe, a Firmware-upgrade will help.

Mike Shimwell

Fahim

I have been having a similar set of thoughts - do I need the dslr? I have all the lenses I need in M mount, though a faster 90 than the Rokkor f4 would be nice, but that aside I think it would cover a lot of my needs. I too like carrying the smaller camera and haven't really used an slr much for a few months(!)

However, I do use the macro sometimes, but telephoto only rarely.

I will need to use one in a shop and look at the files before I decide - for digital I have grown very accustomed to the files from the 1Ds3, which are great, and I would like not to lose that ability.

Whatever I decide, I wish them every success. It's a bold move.

Mike

fahim mohammed

Mike, for me it is a question of what I can carry around with me on my globetrotting. I do love to
use my nikon from time to time..but only if I can rest a while!

I want to pare my lenses to something sensible ( and affordable ). I am trying to decide if trading
some of my wife's sporting equipment for a M9 would be worth it :)

on the quiet of course..she is off to chicago to her parents later in the year. A new year present to myself
is worth thinking about then!!

Take care.

Asher Kelman

Fahim

I have been having a similar set of thoughts - do I need the dslr? I have all the lenses I need in M mount, though a faster 90 than the Rokkor f4 would be nice, but that aside I think it would cover a lot of my needs. I too like carrying the smaller camera and haven't really used an slr much for a few months(!)

However, I do use the macro sometimes, but telephoto only rarely.

I will need to use one in a shop and look at the files before I decide - for digital I have grown very accustomed to the files from the 1Ds3, which are great, and I would like not to lose that ability.

Whatever I decide, I wish them every success. It's a bold move.

Mike

Mike,

With all due respect and obeisance to the mystique of any German made Leica, in truth the M9, besides being more subtle and prestigious is just a tool. For most use it will not be lighter than a Pentax
K10 or a Digital a Canon 7D with a prime lens. It will not be as versatile. It will not be a partner on odd occasions when we shoot auto or "P", (although we won't admit it!)

This M9 Leica is best for lots and lots of Leicaphiles to buy with new lenses to keep the product viable.

That way, the few creative, wedding and street photographers who appreciate the unique Leica RF visual experience will flourish. From this treasured group we'll see a lot of impressive new photography as the capabilities of the Leica M platform have at last been restored.

Asher

Hi,

As i already own a Leica M6 TTL that i really appreciate, i went to my local dealer twice to test this new M9. Once to handle it and get first impressions, the second time with my M-Hexanons lenses (don't want to invest in over-expensive Leica aspherical lenses, too sharp and chirurgical for me) and a SD card to make "real" tests with my own lenses.

To have handled it, i can say this new M9 is a real M, with a unique feeling. One loves or not, but as a rangefinder-lover, i really liked it. Finition is excellent, it feels really strong and robust. Ergonomics has been improved (direct iso and exposure modification), shutter is quite good, especially with this "discrete" mode which is really... discrete.

On the other hand, i was first a bit desappointed by IQ... Yes, it is very very sharp with aspherical lenses but also quickly dirty : remember, there's no AA filter, which is good for very high resolution but bad for artefacts ! And there are some visible artefacts on the pictures. Digital noise is also slightly present at 200 iso and visible at 400 iso : i use to get perfect pictures with my D700 at these levels of sensibility, so it's disturbing...

But, as rangefinders users know it, a M is not a SLR and it offers a unique experience of photography. It is the real advantage : small and discrete.

At the end, it's a real dilemma : 5500€ for a global average IQ... it's very expensive when you can get for the same price a complete set of Zeiss ZF lenses plus a Nikkor pro zoom as 24-70 !

I am going to closely examinate pictures i made today with my M-Hexanon and i will do my choice. One thing is sure : it will not be easy to decide.

Michael Fontana

pro member
Bonsoir Cédric

while I can se that this cam, enfin a real M... ^^ would fit with your shooting style...
if you think the IQ is average, you still might wait for a healing Firmware update and decide then. No reason to hurry...

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Although I've not yet touched an M9 (mine's on order) I do use Leica M cameras (M7, MP, M8, M8.2) quite a bit. Based on what I've seen and early reports I've read from reliable sources I believe that the M9 will finally deliver a true "digital M" product.

No time, or energy, now to explain or defend the camera or the brand. But I would like to offer two remarks.

1. It's become an old adage that Leica M cameras are "small and discrete". The truth is that they are neither. A Leica M is not significantly smaller than, say, a Canon 450D or other entry-level dslrs outfitted with kit lenses. And with its brass components (including the brass lens barrels) it's certainly not light. Nor is a Leica M discrete, per se. Camera phones are discrete. Consumer p&s cameras are discrete. Leicas draw attention, even from folks who don't care a whit about photography (and think you're using an antique).

That aside, taking photograhs inconspicuously is, to a great degree, more a matter of behaviour than camera model. Living in the middle of a densely populous area heavily trafficed by tourists I see men, mostly young, schlepping backpacks full of camera gear through my area every sunny weekend day. Their every movement and very presence is the definition of conspicuousness. If you want to slide through the street don't looks like a homeless guy carrying all your worldly possesions. Also learn to be fast and accurate with as little extra body movement as possible.

2. The point of any digital M is to use the lenses on a pretty good digital body. As noted earlier, these lenses can do some remarkable things. Whether or not the M9 can shoot at ISO 25000 (no, it can't) is irrelevent. It's the lenses. A clean ISO 1250 gives nearly all experienced Leica M shooters all they really need.

In the final analysis, casual candid photography, such as is Leica's main diet, is more about capturing moments than about techie characteristics of digital image files. Most of history's most celebrated and valued photographs would certainly draw fire from the amatuer photo forum crowds.

Asher Kelman

2. The point of any digital M is to use the lenses on a pretty good digital body. As noted earlier, these lenses can do some remarkable things. Whether or not the M9 can shoot at ISO 25000 (no, it can't) is irrelevent. It's the lenses. A clean ISO 1250 gives nearly all experienced Leica M shooters all they really need.

Ken,

You will be so happy with the M9, I'm sure! If I owned Leica lenses I'd sell off some Canon lenses and get this wonderful new camera.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Ken,

You will be so happy with the M9, I'm sure! If I owned Leica lenses I'd sell off some Canon lenses and get this wonderful new camera.

Asher

If I was short on cash and had children I would sell them into slavery to buy an M9, based on what I've seen so far!

Hi,

I finally visited my local Leica dealer a third time today, to order a M9. ;)
"La passion a été plus forte que la raison"

Having made some tests with non-Leica lenses (which means not auto-corrected by inner software), i found that jpeg quality is quite average and even poor in some cases but the camera can produce very good DNG files and using Capture One Pro 4.8.3 i was able to deliver very good files considering the conditions of tests (poor light, bad weather with white/grey sky, approximative metering, non coded lenses, autocorrection desactivated...).

Leica M9 & M-Hexanon 2/50 @ f2 160 iso and f4 400 iso :

ed07f5e7adc6829fde273a8b9b42a1a.jpg

72ac7d6554dbdbcb540e92bfa2fe01f.jpg

Michael Fontana

pro member
Felicitations, mon chére!

enjoy it, wishing you plenty of good photos!

LOL:"La passion a été plus forte que la raison"

Ken:
If I was short on cash and had children I would sell them into slavery to buy an M9, based on what I've seen so far!
just must have a interesting heritage!

Mike Shimwell

Ken

I look forward hearing your experiences of the M9. It is an interesting develpoment to say the least and the early reports are all positive. I agree that most rf shooters don't really need more than iso 1250 to be clean - 400 film isn't clean and the way rf's are used 'for casual candid photography' (great description) doesn't necessarily require it.

Also, I didn't realise you were still using film M's. Is that regular or just occasional these days? And what makes you choose a film body over the digital? Just interested.

Mike

Mike Shimwell

Hi,

I finally visited my local Leica dealer a third time today, to order a M9. ;)
"La passion a été plus forte que la raison"

Having made some tests with non-Leica lenses (which means not auto-corrected by inner software), i found that jpeg quality is quite average and even poor in some cases but the camera can produce very good DNG files and using Capture One Pro 4.8.3 i was able to deliver very good files considering the conditions of tests (poor light, bad weather with white/grey sky, approximative metering, non coded lenses, autocorrection desactivated...).

Leica M9 & M-Hexanon 2/50 @ f2 160 iso and f4 400 iso :

ed07f5e7adc6829fde273a8b9b42a1a.jpg

72ac7d6554dbdbcb540e92bfa2fe01f.jpg

Cedric,

I am pleased for you. I hope that you are pleased.

I have not carried out Ken's sugestion of selling my children thoughh:)

Mike

Cem_Usakligil

...I have not carried out Ken's sugestion of selling my children thoughh:)

Mike
Are they still available then, can I sell yours? lol

@Cedric: In the pictures you have shown, the details needed for creating a good impression on us are lost due to downsizing. Perhaps you would be kind enough to sharing the originals with us? Just asking.

Cheers,

Hi Cem,

Results are not really very good with Hexanon 2/50 which seems to be weak with flare (see pic 3)... But Hexanon 2/35 is very fine with M9, except some minors problems (its not a Cron Asph...).

Here are some crops and other pics made with both Hexanon :

Hexanon 50 :

Crop of pic 1 :

b48a300daf2e03078df4d91f486e256.jpg

Crop of pic 2 :

a20cce2370fd78b2ca44e151355f71d.jpg

Pic 3 :

6ad4ac2839b29ecc7e003e3b6079883.jpg

Crop of pic 3 :

e79ea1fee51d9c4221b28f47a946461.jpg

Hi,

I finally took decision today to cancel my order... Yes, M9 seems to be a great camera but, after all, i don't think my use of it would justify the investment. For price of M9 body, i can buy complete Zeiss primes set-up for my D700... which is a really good fellow in the street, not so "un-discrete" when you don't use a mega-zoom lens.

Maybe one day...

Asher Kelman

Hi,

I finally took decision today to cancel my order... Yes, M9 seems to be a great camera but, after all, i don't think my use of it would justify the investment. For price of M9 body, i can buy complete Zeiss primes set-up for my D700... which is a really good fellow in the street, not so "un-discrete" when you don't use a mega-zoom lens.

Maybe one day...
Cedric,

Your decision makes sense especially if you have an M8. After all the pixel density is the same. If you want full frame, you can use a Leica film camera with your existing lenses.

Asher

BTW, if you were going to buy a used Leica film body as a second camera, which would you buy?

I already own a M6 TTL... so if i had to buy a second Leica film camera, it would be certainly a M7, to get Auto mode which could be usefull in some cases.

Cedric.

Wendy Thurman

I am on Kurland's M9 waiting list. I just purchased the 50/1.4 Summilux; now I simply need a camera to attach it to! I've used M3's and M6's in the past, but never before owned a Leica. I think this will be a useful tool for me although it is not designed to be a replacement for my beloved D700.

Wendy

Asher Kelman

I am on Kurland's M9 waiting list. I just purchased the 50/1.4 Summilux; now I simply need a camera to attach it to! I've used M3's and M6's in the past, but never before owned a Leica. I think this will be a useful tool for me although it is not designed to be a replacement for my beloved D700.

Wendy
Except for a wish to have an S version, (like the amazing D3S), my favorite camera of the year, is the D700 Nikon. Notwithstanding my collection of Canon gear, I'm in awe of Nikons leap from behind to not only deliver the professional clad D3, but also to share all it's fine focus and low light and high DR capabilities in a lightweight form. All that, without demanding a king's ransom!

I know you will enjoy your new camera. Add some black gaffer's tape over the red dot and you're ready to go. You'll find less barrier between you and the subjects. You only need that one lens. Overlap adjacent parts of a landscape for wide angle and crop as you did with the "bullfight" slow shutter shot for telephoto.

That one lens could give you a book and even a passport to the National Gallery or just a pile of fun!

Asher

Wendy Thurman

Asher-

That 50/1.4 Summilux is it. Leica is so expensive, I can't see me buying many lenses- perhaps a 35. The 50 and the M9 body carry a pretty staggering price tag.

If Nikon comes out with a D700s that would be a tempting camera!

Wendy

Have M9, will travel

Actually, it's will have M9, once i travel. Popflash tells me that I get this week's black M9 body. I'll pick it up when in the US next month. I expect that 28/2 and 35/2 will be most used at first. I do have shorter focal lengths which I can try for their effects, but my sense of the M9's viewfinder is that it, like the M3 and M7, is best at the mid- to longer focal lengths.

scott

Mike Shimwell

Asher-

That 50/1.4 Summilux is it. Leica is so expensive, I can't see me buying many lenses- perhaps a 35. The 50 and the M9 body carry a pretty staggering price tag.

If Nikon comes out with a D700s that would be a tempting camera!

Wendy

Wendy, don't forget the wonderful Zeiss ZM lenses - the Bigon 35/2 and 25/2.8 cost considerably less than their Leica counterparts and are preferred by some.

Of course, Asher is right and that one 50 could probably keep you active for many years.

Mike

Wendy Thurman

The 50 Summilux will be here any day. When I will get the camera is anyone's guess. Kurland's is getting one a week right now. They tell me Leica has promised a bulk shipment in which case it would only be "two to three weeks" before they'd ship me one, but I don't realistically expect to have the body in my hands until December.

Wendy

Geoff Goldberg

M9 - m8

Asher -

You are right about one of the downsides of the M9 if you have the M8. Its better, but is it worth it?

I have been shooting the early M8 for a couple of years now, and am quite happy with it. The lens lineup was built around that camera - the 28 for standard, the 50 for short tele, no 35.

If $ were not an object, the M9 would be great for the extra stop, no filters, extra resolution. But the lens lineup would have to change as well. OTOH, curiously one argument (for me) for the camera is to be able to shoot buildings with the 15mm, holding the CL at street level, and have a PC image of the building about 9 mb. But that's a lot of money for a single goal.

In short, yes, its a good improvement. It would be nice, but the price of both camera and a new lens (at least one...) stings a bit..... so maybe sit tight for a while and see what gives.

Geoff

PS - shooting with a Rollei dp20 is no more mb than the M9, but with the WLF composition can be controlled more precisely. These days, that is 1/2 the battle. Of course lugging around an older MFDB isn't much fun either....