Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Photography Discussions > Film, Platinum, Polaroid & other Analog media

Old January 19th, 2012, 05:27 PM

Default Kodak: Will Tri-X for sure disappear?

Does anybody know for sure if Tri-X will for sure disappear now that Kodak has filled for Chapter 11? Bankruptcy may mean the demise of a company, but of a great product? Will any other film manufacturers pick up the recipe? Should I be buying an extra freezer and filling it with what Kodak film I can find?

Very upsetting : (
-Nick
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:31 PM

Nobody knows for sure, but B&W film is relatively easy to manufacture and there is a market for tri-X. Considering that somebody went into the trouble of making Polaroid film again, I would be surprised if tri-X or an imitate would not exist. Polaroid film is immensely more complicated to manufacture and the market is smaller.
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:30 PM

Do you suppose, if it were to be re-manufactured, that it will retain it's quality and tonalities? The emulsion chemistry is only a small piece to the process and quality control... Highly speculative, I know. Is today's polaroid similar in quality to that which died?
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Masson View Post
Do you suppose, if it were to be re-manufactured, that it will retain it's quality and tonalities? The emulsion chemistry is only a small piece to the process and quality control... Highly speculative, I know. Is today's polaroid similar in quality to that which died?
Today's Polaroid is not similar in quality to the original product, but it is a different situation. For Polaroid, there is no competition if you want to use the cameras and making the film is very complex. The idea was not "make the same" but "make something that works".
For Tri-X, the business model would be "make the same". If you don't, people can still buy Ilford film for example. And manufacturing B&W film is comparatively trivial.
Old January 21st, 2012, 07:19 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Nick,

I'd be more concerned about Kodak's color film, both transparencies and negative. folk are stocking up!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 02:58 PM

Kodak expect that the film business will survive the restructure and continue as long as it's profitable. That may be some time yet as the movie industry still uses a lot of colour stock and the latest still colour neg films are related to the movie film.

I wouldn't worry too much about Tri-X's imminent demise - and if it does go there are other films.

Mike