• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Budapest by night.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We were in Budapest for a few nights so it was a must to go out and capture the city by night.

Budapest Parliament.

IG9A0798 by Gordon Baird, on Flickr​

Gordon,

How fortunate! This is one of my favorite places. Are you staying in a hotel opposite this view and looking over the water from some nice restaurant?

I like the flow of people along the pedestrian walk between the restaurants and hotels and the river!

So did you visit the huge palace just to the right of this building!

Asher

Asdgjkmmbg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I also remember this bridge: so many locks on it from lovers, if I remember rightly! No, that’s in Paris!!
So why is this called the “Chain Bridge”?

Aha! It is the forerunner of steel cable suspension bridges.

“The main suspension cables in older bridges were often made from chain or linked bars, but modern bridge cables are made from multiple strands of wire. This not only adds strength but improves reliability (often called redundancy in engineering terms) because the failure of a few flawed strands in the hundreds used pose very little threat of failure, whereas a single bad link or eyebar can cause failure of an entire bridge. (The failure of a single eyebar was found to be the cause of the collapse of the Silver Bridge over the Ohio River.) Another reason is that as spans increased, engineers were unable to lift larger chains into position, whereas wire strand cables can be formulated one by one in mid-air from a temporary walkway. Wikipedia.”

I wonder whether or not this Hungarian Bridge still has those original chain links? Not to smart!

Chain Bridge.

IG9A0792 by Gordon Baird, on Flickr​

Asher