• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Printing Mastery Workshop on DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alain Briot

pro member
It took me one full year to create. It features over 200 movies, audio recording and tutorials files. A sampler movie is now available on my site and a pre-announcement list is open. It will be released in mid-september. A full description and a link to the movie sampler is on my site's home page, in the news section (scroll down).

The DVD describes from A to Z the exact process I follow, through 28 individual steps and over 80 sub steps, from raw file or scan to a finished print ready to display in a gallery.

http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

Mike Funnell

Alain Briot said:
It looks wonderful! Unfortunately, perhaps, for me I doubt that I could justify the expenditure of either time or money on this. And yet I'd love to know!

What I think I'd like to find is something that could improve my printing somewhat, but with a better cost/time/effort trade-off for my purposes (which I know are entirely different from yours). I don't know that you could provide such a thing, as you may know too much to be able to produce it! But I really should look, or at least try to improve under my own power in a less desultory manner than I've done so far.

...Mike

Alain Briot

pro member
This is one of the goals for this DVD. Instead of featuring each and every possible way to create a fine art print, it features my approach which I refined and developed over the past 10 years. I spent one full year simplifying everything "distilling" it in a way, so you don' t have to sort through hundreds of programs, options, techniques, etc. If I understand you well, what you are asking for is what this DVD is about. It is also about mastering the creation of a fine art print and more.

Mike Funnell

Alain Briot said:
It is also about mastering the creation of a fine art print and more.
I guess what I'm saying is that while I'd love to be able to do that, even just for the sake of knowing how, it's really beyond my present requirements and I'd have difficulty justifying the time and effort I'd have to put in - even with guidance from someone who already knows how. (I'm assuming, here, that what you're showing is how to achieve absolute top quality in producing [mostly] large prints for display purposes.)

I was really just commenting that I'm like someone with his nose against the display glass, thinking "it would be great.....but I have to be realistic here". That's no comment on your course and DVD, more a comment on my circumstances.

...Mike

Alain Briot

pro member
Mike Funnell said:
(I'm assuming, here, that what you're showing is how to achieve absolute top quality in producing [mostly] large prints for display purposes.)
...Mike

Top quality yes. Size: any size you like. Print quality and print size are two different things. A stunning print can be small as well as large.

Brian Lowe

Alain Briot said:
Top quality yes. Size: any size you like. Print quality and print size are two different things. A stunning print can be small as well as large.

If I was going to spend that kind of money I would rather spend it on a new printer than a $975.00 DVD, what am I missing here?

Brian

Alain Briot

pro member
Equipment and knowledge are two different things. The DVD provides you with the knowledge I acquired over the past 10 years creating world-class fine art prints. This knowledge took me one year to "distill" until I was able to present it in a coherent, practical, concise and easily accessible manner. This knowledge is extensive consisting of several hundred files from audio to video to Quicksteps to PDFs to Master Files to example Photographs, Photoshop actions, print label files, and more.

The DVD is priced similarly to a workshop because the contents are comparable to my Expressive Print Seminars. For a lot of my customers travelling to a workshop is not always practical, for many reasons. Some have home responsibilities that prevent them from travelling such as disabilities, workload, family care, and more. For others the travel costs are prohibitive. Also, there is the issue of how people learn. Some can learn on their own, some enjoy attending workshops and studying under the guidance of Natalie and I, and some like the freedom of studying our materials at their leisure, in the comfort of their home or anywhere they can take their laptop.

Let me know if this answers your question. Don't hesitate to call us if you like: 800-949-7983 (USA) and 623-561-1641 (international). We are in Arizona.

Brian Lowe

All of your posts seem like shameless advertising. How about helping us out with some helpful nuggets of your knowledge, help one learn and demonstrate your greatness.

I see it like going into a candy store they offer you a free sample then once you see how you like it then you can decide if you want more.

If I were to judge the value of the DVD it seems more like a reflection of your own ego, both are not in touch with reality.

Alain Briot

pro member
I have sample movies and audio files from the DVD on my site as well as of my other tutorials. If you follow my posts on this site you will see that they are about helping people with their work. I get a lot of emails thanking me for that. The posts in this folder are news about my work and others. Did you see my other posts in the other areas of this forum? This section here is about " Photographic Training, Seminars &Travel" and clearly it features announcements for upcoming outside events. I also post links to my new essays because I know they are of interest to many here.

You also need to know that OPP Moderators are not paid for their work and do it because it is something they enjoy. Posting news about our work, writings, workshops or other is one way to receive compensation for what we offer to OPP members. We do have to make a living.

I think your post is very unfair and that your language is offensive. Not in sync with OPP.

Last edited:

Mike Funnell

Brian Lowe said:
How about helping us out with some helpful nuggets of your knowledge, help one learn...{mike}OK, so I cut that off early{/mike}
Brian, if you look at Michael Reichmann's site (http://www.luminous-landscape.com) you'll note that Alain has, and continues to, put things out there that are helpful, and do not directly generate revenue. His own web site also contains "free-to-air" material. The stuff he charges for, well, he gets to charge for. If you don't want to spend the money then you don't have to. I'd guess (but can't know) that if you paid, you'd get good value for your money. Alain doesn't seem like a rip-off "artist" to me. But charging money for expertise seems entirely appropriate to me (well, it would, wouldn't it, for someone who's worked as a "consultant").

...Mike

Ray West

But in all honesty, I think I can see where Brian is coming from.

It seems that there are no other courses, other than what Alain is offering, if you judge by the content of this topic ' Photographic Training, Seminar's & Travel.'

Perhaps others should promote/advertise here too.

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have already posted elsewhere the PDF books by Uwe of Outback Photography Forums, $39.95, well made. I will review one shortly and also DVD's by Michael of Luminous Landscape $12-30 or so, again well done.

These are very focussed and you will have to check the specifics.

You essentially buy what you need and pace yourself. I'll try to have available a range of different courses. I'll add on photographing models for beauty and glamour soon.

Problem is is that I have to a) obtain the materials or go to the course to write a review and b) find the time to do the writing.

As we get an efficient way of screen out non-photographers who try to get on the forum, and threads are active so that questions are properly answereed, we'll see more.

This is certainly the place for announcements to be made. i'm happy their are options.

However, we have no role, creative, scheduling, financial or otherwise in any way to courses mentioned. A course, or any transaction bewteen OPF members is a private matter for which OPF get's not reward, except in knowing of mutual benefits to the participants,

Still, if I know about something, I'll try to honestly review it if I'm able.

Asher

Ray West

Hi Asher,

I know there have been reviews, etc., but they do not appear under this topic heading - i.e. 'pts&t'. (and without trying, I'm not sure how to find them in the site search). Maybe they need to be moved here, with a sep. thread for each one- (not much point if the course has finished, tho'). I guess) It would perhaps give a more balanced view.

Best wishes,

Ray

(This is not implying that I think Alain's courses are unbalanced...... I feel i'm digging a pit here...deja vu... ;-)

Alain Briot

pro member
I am sure other photographers who offer workshops will be announcing them here. It's just that this is a new forum and it takes time for everyone to become aware of what is available. We certainly need variety!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonjour Alain
Congrats for your new DVD.
BTW, when talking about "OPP", I guess you mean "OPF"… [he said with a clin d'œil]

Mary Bull

an open letter to Alain

Dear Alain,

I'd just like to say that it was difficult for me to hold my tongue, when this conversation began on this thread with Brian Lowe's very blunt comment to you.

I had already found you enormously helpful elsewhere at OPF. But, additionally, I had been enjoying some very cordial exchanges with Brian in other fora here at OPF. I felt, as you stated to Brian, that his comment was unfair to you. But I was content to let you defend yourself and also I wanted to wait for longer-term members here to chime in.

Subsequent in chronology to most of the posts to this thread, I have actually been in telephone conversation with you, when you and your wife, Natalie, returned a business call I had placed to you.

I think if Brian had been in on that conversation, he would most likely have expanded his opinions in a more positive manner than he at first expressed them here.

I hope meanwhile he has had time to read what you have to offer, both at OPF and on your own website. Generously and freely offered--like the help offered by so many of your peers who help here at OPF for no pay except the joy of giving and of meeting new and interesting people. < like me, she said with a preening, ironic smile >

As I've said before here at OPF, in many a comment, this set of fora is so exciting to me that I am still waking up at 2:00 a.m., spontaneously--not by any conscious choice--to come in here and boot up and read the latest and post what I am moved to say.

I count you as one of those OPF members who are causing this loss of sleep. < said with a teasing smile >

It's well worth the early waking, and what I read here from you and others brings me great delight and enriches my daily life outside of OPF.

Sincerely yours,

Mary

Last edited:

Alain Briot

pro member
Mary,

Thank you very much for your comments. I truly appreciate your support and I know Natalie does too although she prefers to not participate in the forums because of the issue we are discussing here (Natalie doesn't like people who put me down).

I work very hard at what I do with the goal of offering world class quality. The Printing Mastery Workshop on DVD is the result of 10 years of experience and a full year of reflection, creation and production aimed at producing a tutorial that is comparable in scope and contents to my Expressive Print Seminar. To be fair to Seminar Participants, I had to price it comparably to the Seminar. However, because travel is not necessary, one saves considerably when compared to attending the actual seminar.

I have received orders plus very enthusiastic emails from people all over the world about this offering. As I mentioned earlier, some people cannot travel for many reasons. For example, one of my students has an autistic son who needs daily care from him. Others live very far away (overseas or accross the United States from Arizona) and yet others simply cannot take the time off. Finally, for some it is also the opportunity to study the material right away, instead of wating until February for the Seminar. There are many reasons. We also have a lot of students who have ordered the DVD and are also attending the Seminar, or the Summit. The two are really unique events in their own regard. I compare it to music: The DVD is to CD's what the Seminar is to a live concert. Both are unique and offer specific advantages. If you are truly passionate about the subject, you eventually need both, just like the true music lover will want to own CDs and attend live concerts.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Only one announcement is needed per product. This is a courtesy of OPF. When it is reviewed, that would be an informed opinion. This thread is therefore closed.

Asher

Status
Not open for further replies.