Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > Digital Darkroom > Image Processing and Workflow

Image Processing and Workflow RAW, DNG , TIFF and JPG. From Capture to Ready for Publish/Display. All software and techniques used within an image workflow, (except extensive retouching and repair or DAM).

Old June 5th, 2017, 12:15 PM

Default Affinity Photo for iPad

Affinity for iPad has arrived today June 5'th, 2017. I have decided to purchase it for my IPad Air2 and make use of the fullblown processing features that appear to be part of it.

The download is a big 1.29GB ---- and so it will take a little while to download the app, before I can start playing. Hopefully it will be a useful tool in my arsenal of iPad tools.

It is nice because I have found myself more and more wirelessly transferring files from my camera to my iPad, for quick processing and uploading to the web. As well, more new portable phones and devices will allow storing the camera images as RAW files. Being able to process those files in the device will be valuable.

This Youtube video was just posted - https://youtu.be/_Pp6TOsSi_U

-------
Old June 5th, 2017, 02:15 PM

It is one of the apps which was presented on today's WWDC. Apparently, it is one of the top apps for the iPad pro (the one with the stylus).
Old June 5th, 2017, 05:57 PM

Pretty Amazing really. Having the full functionality of the desktop version that I have on my MacBook. And it is fast enough. I have a new iPad Air2.

I have been playing for the past hour, and have been able to manage everything with my fingers. I wondered how they would handle tools like clone or other functionality that traditionally I use Alt and Command and others keys to accomplish - but it all works without the keys.

Really quite something being able to process Panoramics, Focus Stacking, HDR - all from my iPad. I love it so far.

Pretty impressed having these abilities on my iPad - and I have benefitted from introductory price break.

-------
Old June 5th, 2017, 08:32 PM

Well I pushed my little iPad Air2 to the limit by processing an Olympus ORF file (15MB file). The first time I tried processing it, the app crashed when I got impatient with the settings and was pushing lots of buttons - and so I closed any other open apps and reopened the file. I was able to do all normal processing in the RAW module and when done the file transferred over to the main program. The RAW file needs to be sitting in a Cloud Service like iCloud, Dropbox, Google or any other - to access and open it in the RAW Module.

While features are included that will process Panos, HDR, Focus Stacking - - - the iPad may not be the ideal choice if you already have desktop options on a fast computer.

One of the first obstacles is that the set of files (which need to be uploaded to a Cloud service - I used Dropbox), cannot be selected as a set of files. Each one needs to be Added individually. Once I Added the 10 images from a handheld Pano series, that I took in Antigua a month ago, it took a long time to Stitch and then Render the Panora. Around 8 minutes for the 10 file set.

Mind you, this these 10 files were a total of around 100MB. And the Stitched and Rendered file was 10,570 pixels by 4,556 pixels at 48MB. So I really should be pretty impressed that the meager iPad could handle that size an image in the first place. I am sure the faster iPad Pro's will be much better equipped for these type of tasks.

Once the rendering was done, the App and handled the large pano file easily in the Develop area where further tweaking could be done. I have to say though, that the new Affinity for iPad did a really good job of stitching and rendering out this image. I checked around at full resolution to see if there were mismatches or tonal irregularities at stitched areas - - - and if they are there, it is hard to find.

Here is the Pano resized to 1200 pixels at the long end. This was basically right out of the camera. Again - I was just handholding my Olympus EM-10 with the 14-42 kit lens, and rotating my body from side to side.

Old June 7th, 2017, 11:13 AM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Robert,

The fact that the wall is so close makes the stitching so much more of a challenge as far as parallax is concerned. Did you swing the camera through an arc or move from side to side and thus have a series of different origins. The latter can be done with Autopano Giga from kolor.com.

As to the time, the total of about 20 minutes effort gets you a marvelous pictures that you could send to an editor and get paid for! Pretty amazing!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.