• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Calliope Hummingbird

Doug Herr

The Calliope Hummingbird (Selasphorus calliope) is a summer visitor to the mountains of western North America, where it stakes out a territory where forest and meadow meet. I located one of these birds in El Dorado County, between my home near Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

A little patience revealed the bird's favorite perches and I sat & waited while the little meadow-buzzer made his rounds, eventually landing on this perch.

cahumm00.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The Calliope Hummingbird (Selasphorus calliope) is a summer visitor to the mountains of western North America, where it stakes out a territory where forest and meadow meet. I located one of these birds in El Dorado County, between my home near Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

A little patience revealed the bird's favorite perches and I sat & waited while the little meadow-buzzer made his rounds, eventually landing on this perch.

cahumm00.jpg

What an adorable little bird, Doug! You have done exceptionally well here! The stance and angle are perfect.

That plumage with the Crimson feathers under the throat at so fabulous. I'm in envy - I'd love a scarf like that!

So was this a place it returned to several times and your camera was trained there or did you have to swing there to catch it?

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
cahumm00.jpg

Doug,

This is so beautiful, but frankly I wouldn't immediately suspect it was a hummer, except perhaps for the long thin beak.

Are there non bummers with such fine beaks?

Asher