• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Blue-headed Parrot

Peter Dexter

I "house sat" my friend's "finca" this weekend and several of these parrots flew in each afternoon to land on a dead tree in front of his porch. His place is at 1340m. I don't get them at my place which is at 2100m. Instead I get the Scarlet-fronted Parakeet. These are much more shy than the Scarlet-fronteds so I was happy to get a shot. This is probably an immature as the head isn't fully blue.

33493200846_f148fc2b93_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am so in awe of this beautiful bird. I know that in South America, this sight is rather common. I, however am mesmerized by the thought that this is really the great great great to the nth grandchild of a vicious dinosaur!

Were they also a colorful? Maybe we'd think them beautiful too!

Asher

Peter Dexter

I think recent scientific techniques have been able to identify some of their colors and of course they wore feathers long before there were any birds.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I think recent scientific techniques have been able to identify some of their colors and of course they wore feathers long before there were any birds.

Yes, you're quite right. Colors are recognized by particular sequences of DNA in modern birds and they have learned to extract pretty good remnants of dinosaur DNA from fossil teeth. Pretty fabulous!

Can't remake them yet, but could patch up some interesting mixes. They are building a fairly close to "mammoth" by putting a fur coat into the elephant genome, amongst other artistic changes.

Asher