• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: Struggle

Prateek Dubey

r263825-fullsize.jpg

Prateek Dubey : Struggle

Mike Shimwell

Hi Prateek

An interesting picture with nice colours, but I need you to explain the title. I'm not seeing the struggle in this at present. in terms of composition, placing the man just to right of centre leaves a tension that might be better dissipated if he aas moved to just left of centre - of course the tension may be intentional or cultural?

Mike

Ruben Alfu

I need you to explain the title. I'm not seeing the struggle in this at present.

I agree Prateek, that was my first reaction. After a second look and a closer examination I've come to realize that the kid in the bg is holding a weight. Is this a place for physical training? Is that what the title is referring to?

Great picture in any case.

Prateek Dubey

Hello Ruben,
I intentionally did not explain the picture.Hoping the image will explain itself. Struggle here is about the old man trying to remember something in his life, and struggle is about the young man trying to build his biceps doing barbell curls. This is a traditional Indian wrestling arena. Loose 'mud', is used as the mat. Loosening and leveling of the mud is a part of daily physical excersise.

Ruben Alfu

Hello Ruben,
I intentionally did not explain the picture.Hoping the image will explain itself. Struggle here is about the old man trying to remember something in his life, and struggle is about the young man trying to build his biceps doing barbell curls. This is a traditional Indian wrestling arena. Loose 'mud', is used as the mat. Loosening and leveling of the mud is a part of daily physical excersise.

Got it, that's a profound mix of ideas Patreek. Regardless of the title, the photo stand on its own without explanations, but now, with that reference, it says more to me than the explanation.

Rachel Foster

I agree with the decision not to explain the image. That allows the viewer to "project" into the image, making it more personal. What I saw in this image is the struggle of growing older, particularly one's body beginning to fail. (This was personally very relevant to me as I "struggle" with Parkinson's.)

On a more irreverent note, my second thought was that perhaps he needed more vegetables in his diet.

Prateek Dubey

Hello Rachel,
Sorry to know about your struggle. But it is struggle which ends up being a source of inspiration. This man retired from a traditional herbal medicine manufacturing firm. At the age of eighty six, he visits the arena regularly to wrestle and roll about in the mud.

Charlotte Thompson

wow- what a fine looking gentleman for his age
I like the shot-He looks like he is in such good shape for his age-remarkable really!
I think the picture shows his strain and also strength!

Charlotte-