• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Rice..Balinese Rice

fahim mohammed

I have tried to present the myriad pieces of a complex and ancient culture the way I understood it.
This short series is another piece of that complex but spiritually graceful way of life..

I once posted this image in the forum and posed the question..' What's in a jar ' ?

Then I posted a composite. The answer actually is that the jar contains rice.

All these images have been posted here previously..

p200414677-4.jpg

Beautiful ? No?.

I told you about Anun. How she and the girls showed me how they weaved the offerings basket.

p725921740-4.jpg

Look carefully. A most important component of the offering is rice.

I took you into a temple. I talked to you about searching for the soul of Bali..

p781797633-4.jpg

Once again, look carefully and one cannot but fail to notice rice in most offerings.

I showed you a small religious statue. On the way to the spa. Underneath this graceful construct are
small baskets weaved by Anun and her co-workers containing..rice.

p1037867072-4.jpg

OPF limits me to four images per post. It also breaks my flow of thought. Anyway..

fahim mohammed

I took you along to the holiest of the water springs. You saw images of people purifying
themselves.

p756579058-4.jpg

Notice once again the offerings. Rice.

I took you along with me to the sea. I remarked at that time, that I would come to this spot repeatedly
and sit alone for hours.

Behind me was a vast rice field. Across this spot is located the holiest of Balinese temples, and I posted images of it. The people on pilgrimage would purchase the rice from the fields behind me.

p732533908-4.jpg

Sitting at this location I could observe the major and minor temples. The people would immerse themselves in the sea water. Some would wait for sunset to see their temple. It was a serene place.

But where, you might rightfully ask, is the Rice. Actually it is all around you in Bali. Everywhere.
Fail to understand the significance of rice; you fail to understand the soul of Bali.

For completion of this narrative here is one rice field..rendered my way. How I felt. How I saw it.
How I want you to see it.

p881246023-5.jpg