• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

EOS 1D MkIIN can be had quite cheap.

Johan Nyberg

Hello all.

I already have the 30D and 50D, with EF 20-35 3.5-4.5, EF 17-40 4.0 and EF 70-200 4.0. I am considering a 1D MkIIN, not for the frame rate, but for the wider angles possible with my lenses. I would also like less noise and more DR.
I mostly shoot landscapes, urban and rural.

I would like opinions on this, also on the possibility that the original 5D may be a better choice.

Yours
Johan Nyberg.

Hello all.

I already have the 30D and 50D, with EF 20-35 3.5-4.5, EF 17-40 4.0 and EF 70-200 4.0. I am considering a 1D MkIIN, not for the frame rate, but for the wider angles possible with my lenses. I would also like less noise and more DR.
I mostly shoot landscapes, urban and rural.

I would like opinions on this, also on the possibility that the original 5D may be a better choice.

Hi Johan,

For quality, it's hard to beat a 'full-frame' sensor array. It allows you to utilize the full FOV of the lens design, although corner performance limitations become much more obvious, especially on the 5D. The image quality between the 5D and the 1D MkIIN seems quite similar, but the build quality and ruggedness of the 1D MkIIN is of course much better. It seems from the data at DxOmark.com that there is some improvement in color accuracy, possibly caused by slightly denser Bayer CFA filters than e.g. you 50D.

Another consideration with your current equipment could be stitching for a wider FOV and more resolution and/or exposure stacking for dynamic range. Using a tripod becomes more important in those scenarios.

Cheers,
Bart

Jerome Marot

The 1D MkII is a full frame camera, the 1D MkII N is not. Besides, a friend of mine who has the 1D MkII (not N) told me that the batteries are not available any more from Canon (Chinese copies may exist) and the ergonomics are peculiar to say the least (I was not able to find how to review pictures without the manual). It weights 50% more than the 5D, which may be relevant if you intend to carry it around.

Cameras of that era may also not accept cards bigger than 8GB.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

The 1D MkII is a full frame camera . . .
Considering the context, perhaps you mean by "full frame" a camera whose frame size is approximately 36 mm x 24 mm.

I believe the Canon EOS 1D Mark II has a frame size of 28.7 mm x 19.1 mm.

I believe the Canon EOS 1D Mark II N has a frame size of 28.7 mm x 19.1 mm.

Perhaps you have in mind some other (better) meaning of "full frame".

Best regards,

Doug

Johan Nyberg

Almost full frame is good enough for me.

From what I see when using the 17-40 on a 1.6 crop, I am reluctant to take it wider than a 1.3 crop sensor. Maybe my copy is bad.
Points about ergonomics are useful, thank you. I would rather have the MkIII, where I believe they improved that, but those are three times the money.

Johan

Hi, Jerome,

Considering the context, perhaps you mean by "full frame" a camera whose frame size is approximately 36 mm x 24 mm.

The 1D series are 'APS-H' camera's (1.3x crop), and the 1Ds series are full frame cameras.
Both 1D cameras are not Full frame 36x24mm sensor array camera's, but they do use a larger area of the image cicle than the smaller 'APS-C' sensor cameras.

Cheers,
Bart

Jerome Marot

I believe the Canon EOS 1D Mark II has a frame size of 28.7 mm x 19.1 mm.

I believe the Canon EOS 1D Mark II N has a frame size of 28.7 mm x 19.1 mm.

Indeed you are right. The Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II has a frame size of 36 mm x 24 mm. "s" being the operating word here, not "N". Shame on me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS-1D_Mark_II_N#EOS-1D_Mark_II_N

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS-1Ds_Mark_II