• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tussilago farfara - Coltsfoot multispectral

Dr Klaus Schmitt

This early spring Coltsfoot flower has a very specific bulls-eye UV pattern,
which gets easily visible here.

Human vision:
large.jpg

UV vision:
large.jpg

Simulated bee vision:
large.jpg

Triptych for comparison:
large.jpg

(using the same old quartz fluorite lens @f8 as shown before here)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Human vision:

large.jpg

Beautiful plant! Although some websites suggest this as a great edible plant, great for salads, it has toxix components which should be avoided. In fact, the alkaloids have perhaps the most potent mutagenic properties on our cells and are carcinogenic.

There's a plant variety which has been bred especially to be free of these health concerns.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Please note that one has to get the safe varieties for salads!

"Clonal plants of colstfoot free of pyrrolizidine alkaloids were then developed in Austria and Germany.[11] This has resulted in the development of the registered variety Tussilago farfara Wein which has no detectable levels of these alkaloids. Source

Asher Kelman

Klaus,

This is a fascinating project.

The idea of this lens is ambitious and simple, a multispectral lens for cameras we use that is within reach of enthusiasts and researchers on a budget. I see such a lens being used in police departments, schools where budgets would limit acquisition of more costly first line lenses from Zeiss, Coastal Optics and the like. So what's the price range likely to be?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Klaus,

From your blog on the multispectral lens:

"The Diptych of Gazania (lab, light source Xenon) reflected UV image using Baader-U filter - X80QF (left), Cerco 94mm (right):"

144141776.4tik3bLE.QuartzFlouriteE_vs_C_U2_c.jpg

and "Diptych of Gazania (lab, light source Xenon) Visual image using UV/IR Cut filter - X80QF (left), Cerco 94mm (right): "

144141774.7V4fYO2M.QuartzFlouriteE_vs_C_VIS_c.jpg

The Cerco filter seems to give a far sharper and more contrasty result. Is that amore expensive filter and what does the 94mm specification refer to?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Klaus,

This is a fascinating project.

The idea of this lens is ambitious and simple, a multispectral lens for cameras we use that is within reach of enthusiasts and researchers on a budget. I see such a lens being used in police departments, schools where budgets would limit acquisition of more costly first line lenses from Zeiss, Coastal Optics and the like. So what's the price range likely to be?

Asher

Yes, this was the idea behind I was looking for for years now actually until I found this solution.

Since you asked for the price range, it will be around 35% of the mentioned high ticket lenses.