• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Digital Processing Issues and Fixes: Topaz A.I. Gigapixel 1.1.2 update just released

Topaz A.I. Gigapixel update v1.1.2 has the following changes:

3 Updated AI Models

New Features:
- Check for updates now happens when the user opens the application
- Updated models with more training for slightly better image quality

Bug Fixes:
- Color space is now correctly preserved when an unsupported color profile is detected and Match Input is checked
- output is now always sRGB for for RAW files

GUI Modifications:
- Processing mode text and box no longer overflows if Save to Input File Location is not checked
- Border of image option region stops disappearing occasionally when window is resized

There is an unadvertised 15% discount available, no need to pay full price for any Topaz product.

Here is the first practical application I tried with this new version. As part of my genealogical research, I often refer to old maps.

This copy of an 1849 map of the New York area (in this case, cropped to Jersey City) from THE NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY DIGITAL COLLECTIONS had names written on the map but were hard to read.

A 400% upsampling in Gigapixel helped solve that problem!

map400.jpg

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hmmm tried to get the new version but got:
Current Version: 1.1.1
!
Well, anyway, my trial period as expired… :(

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Don’t you think we need to compare enlargements with a series of competing contemporary and classic methods.

Number one would be Photoshop!

Asher

Just right now I got v. 1.1.2 at home (my previous tests were done in the office the other day):

"3 Updated AI Models

Update V1.1.2 has the following changes:

New Features:
- Check for updates now happens when the user opens the application
- Updated models with more training for slightly better image quality

Bug Fixes:
- Color space is now correctly preserved when an unsupported color profile is detected and Match Input is checked
- output is now always sRGB for for RAW files

GUI Modifications:
- Processing mode text and box no longer overflows if Save to Input File Location is not checked
- Border of image option region stops disappearing occasionally when window is resized"

As for comparisons with PS, I did that a month ago with an earlier version.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Don’t you think we need to compare enlargements with a series of competing contemporary and classic methods.

Number one would be Photoshop!

I have often used ImageMagick for downsizing, but I suspect its upsizing behavior is quite good. I usually use it with one of a number of scripts (*.BAT files), all derived from prototypes done by Bart van der Wolf.

Being a command-line application, it is a bit clumsy to use (even with the scripts), but I have devised workflow schemes to make it easier to use.

Also for downsizing (but I suspect upsizing would go well also) I use SILKYPIX Developer Studio.

If we are going to have a beauty contest, we need a common premise. I suggest the following for the "contest committee":

1. Provide a standrd test source file, a crop of a small "interesting region" of some good quality image. Its pixel dimensions should be such that when upsized by the prescribed ratio (see next item), its dimensions would be something like 1500 px × 1000 px. Posted to the forum, this would be examinable, even though scrolling would be required for most viewers.

2. Define a standard upsizing ratio for the test.

And so forth.

Best regards,

Doug

Sounds good Doug! I propose that the source files (plural) be from different sources, such as I did in my blog posts where I posted many examples (ie, print scans, film scans, 1-12 [and higher as able] megapixel JPEG and originally RAW images).

I post less images on this forum because it doesn't seem to allow attachments, so I first have to pop images onto my server, etc.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Mike,

Sounds good Doug! I propose that the source files (plural) be from different sources, such as I did in my blog posts where I posted many examples (ie, print scans, film scans, 1-12 [and higher as able] megapixel JPEG and originally RAW images).

Sure.

I post less images on this forum because it doesn't seem to allow attachments, so I first have to pop images onto my server, etc.

I know. A pain. But that's how it is!

Best regards,

Doug

Still no problem with 1.1.2 here (this time on a 2013 fusion iMac).

I just did another genealogical uprez test, this time with a screenshot of the 1905 NJ census as it appeared on FamilySearch. Not even the actual downloadable image, as I had exceeded my bandwidth at the site by this particular time of day.

Shown is actual size, 400% and 600%, no post processing other than making the results grayscale.

census.jpg

Last edited: