• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Epson 2100/2200 feed problem

Colin Robinson

I use my four year old Epson 2100 (2200 in the States) for fine art giclée prints up to A3+. Until this week it had been printing happily on Hahnermühler 285 gsm. Now I am having problems feeding that paper into the machine; it's not taking up the feed. The paper drops down into the feed slot quite positively as usual but on using the print command, the machine makes lots of clunking noises as if it is trying to grip the paper but it doesn't succeed and I get the error message about media not loaded properly

Epson Tech Support UK say that they don't support media above 255 gsm or from third party suppliers like Hahnermühler; “they lack consistency”. They also say that it is possible that the use of that media has caused wear to the paper feed over time. Now it is not taking up Epson Archive Matte paper either.

Someone said the take-up rollers could be dirty and recommended that I spray a plain piece of paper with Windex then feed it through the printer. We don't have Windex in the UK and I've since read that it shouldn't be used, nor alcohol.

So can the take-up rollers be cleaned? They seem impossible to get at.

Andy brown

Colin, you've probably already tried but the lever on the right hand side has an envelope setting which works with thicker stock.

You would have been using this setting anyway but if you are like me, the simple things can sometimes be the trickiest.

If you roll your eyes and groan at me, you'll only be the sixth for the day.

Okay.. 1st off I'm probably going to the jumped on for this... But.. I fix and/or make them work printers, computers and all sorts of electronic gear. For a living... Yes .. the manufacturer will tell you not to use alcohol to clean the rollers. but it does work. Windex (ammonia) will clean the heads at times. I also use Scotch brite pads to clean the pickup rollers. We get them in about 8x10 inch pads.
I will spay some alcohol on the end where the pick up roller is. Place the pad in normal paper tray. Most printers have a cam shaped one on the right, left or in the middle. That gets the paper moving. The pad is way to thick to actually move and will cause a jam indication on the printer. But what happens is the roller will slip on the pad and clean itself. Pretend you cleared the jam a couple of times and the printer will try to pick up the 'paper' and jam again. A couple of these and the pick up roller (cam shaped) will usually be good to go. The other option (the best) is to buy a new pickup roller for the printer. But cleaning will work for the short term. What happens on most printers is the roller gets very smooth from normal use and then won't pick up the paper for the rest of the trip through the printer. I have used a piece of fine grade sand paper, but you have to hold it so it won't go through the printer and it makes a gritty mess... Once I orderd a 'printer cleaner' from HP and all it was, was a couple of pieces of scotch brite glued to a fancy holder to match the spacing of the rollers. That's when I started using sheets of the stuff. Just pretend they are a piece of printer paper. In the worst case I have used belt dressing and then alcohol to clean most of it off. Alcohol has a tendency to soften the rubber on the pickup roller. That's why the company says don't use it. But you can by rubber rejuvenator that is mainly alcohol.. Go figure.........