• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

64 bit OS Motherboard question

Paul Caldwell

Continuing on my 64 bit quest,
What boards are people using? I have found very few that seem to offer support for XP 64 bit. I have also found that the tech support by brand of board is very very weak. Net they basically don't know the answer.
I have looked at Gigabyte and Asus so far.

Thanks
PFC

Paul2660 said:
What boards are people using? ...
PFC
For the past 2 years I've been very happy with my Gigabyte K8NXPRO populated with an AMD Athlon64 3200 running Red Hat Enterprise Linux, XP, XP 64, and/or Win 2003 Server. I use the machine for software development, so I can't speak to how Photoshop runs on it. Stability has been excellent.

Bob

Paul2660 said:
On that board, when you had XP 64 on it, what video did you use? The on board? or sep card.

PFC
I configured the machine to boot whichever OS I need, i.e., Linux, XP Pro, XP 64, and Win Server are all installed, each on a different partition. For example, my XP Pro boot drive is F:.

The video card is a Matrox Millennium P650 driving a ViewSonic 20" LCD at 1600x1200, the display's native resolution. (I'm away from the machine, so I can't provide the display model number.) I chose that card because I wanted to drive the display through the DVI input, and I wanted the option of driving two displays.

Bob

Josh Liechty

I've used an ASUS A8N-E with an Athlon 64 X2 4400+, an NVidia Geforce 6600 PCI-E (a passively cooled model made by Gigabyte), and 4GB of RAM. This system has been perfectly stable with XP x64, and works great with Photoshop as well.

Paul Caldwell

Josh or Bob,

Thanks for the board info. Question on CS2, with the 64 bit OS, will all the plugin's you have work or OK?
Plug in's for all various filters, etc. and also actions?

Thanks
PFC

Josh Liechty

Paul2660 said:
Josh or Bob,

Thanks for the board info. Question on CS2, with the 64 bit OS, will all the plugin's you have work or OK?
Plug in's for all various filters, etc. and also actions?

Thanks
PFC
I've not had any problems. In general, most 32 bit applications will work fine unless they need to put drivers into the operating system (like emulation programs that make ISO files appear as a CD-ROM drive, for example). The only time plug-ins become an issue on a 64 bit system is when you want to use 32 bit plug-ins in a 64 bit application (such as using Macromedia Flash in Internet Explorer 64 bit, which is why they offer a 32 bit version of IE, and why you should be using Firefox anyway ; ). Since Photoshop is a 32 bit application, and all of your plug-ins are 32 bit also, there shouldn't - I would actually say won't - be a problem.

Paul Caldwell

Josh,

on the Asus board, where did you find the 64 bit drivers? I looked on their site, but may have missed it. Drivers for the chip set mainly.
And does that board have any PCI-X 64 bit slots?
Thanks
PFC

Josh Liechty

Paul2660 said:
Josh,

on the Asus board, where did you find the 64 bit drivers? I looked on their site, but may have missed it. Drivers for the chip set mainly.
And does that board have any PCI-X 64 bit slots?
Thanks
PFC
I downloaded 64 bit drivers for the chipset, network, etc. from NVidia's website. If you go this route, do not install drivers for the "hardware firewall," "network access manager," or whatever they're calling it these days. The NForce4 chipset has been very stable in my experience (despite a few claims to the contrary), but NVidia's firewall is a gimmick that never works right and causes frequent BSODs and file corruption. Just use the built-in Windows firewall and you'll be much better off.

The A8N-E offers PCI-e x16, x4, and x1 slots, along with three PCI slots. There are no PCI-X slots available. It is almost impossible to find single-socket consumer level motherboards with PCI-X slots. If you look in the server realm, you'll start to find a few (often lacking PCI-e x16, making good graphics difficult), but PCI-X doesn't become common until you move into the dual socket world of high-end workstation and server motherboards.