• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Football in El Valle

Peter Dexter

Two kids furiously chasing the ball on the main street in El Valle Colombia.

28394780192_cba5e0038e_b.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Two kids furiously chasing the ball on the main street in El Valle Colombia.

This is exceptional but now becoming familiar: a fabulous ability to capture fleeting live moments that most of us simply miss!

Great job. I find it so enjoyable. Would it be worse or better with the entire ball?

Asher

Asher Kelman

I don't know. I kind of like the ball escaping the way it is.

Yes, it's effective and unique! An Aussie, Tom Dinning, showed a picture here of a beach front promenade where folk at the sides were cut through. I like the "chutzpah" in going against convention as it stirred one up and, as here, gives a feeling of people "escaping" from our field of view and so makes it more alive.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
There are many things incomplete in this image, none of which detract from the content and our interpretation.

We know what a ball looks like, even if we only see part of it. We know what children do with a ball; they chase it 'furiously' and we don't need to be told that as we look at the photograph.

There is other incomplete content we can interpret. The condition of the housing indicates squaller as does the condition of the road. The guard (barely shown) tells us of a troubled place when there is the apparent need to protect what appears to be a sub-station, also heavily barricaded and fortified.

We might consider the untold story here.
How is it that children still play in the streets, seemingly oblivious to the surrounding. We might see this as happiness in spite of the deprivation or we might see it as futility.

The image is clear but the content and context blurred. The timing seems awkward but that's all we can do; be poorly prepared in the light of what happens around us.

Perhaps our consciousness is pricked by what we see yet all we can do is reward the photographer.

Such is the way of the photograph.

Asher Kelman

Tom,

I am glad that you have taken us behind the kids to their reality. I cannot do a thing about what you point out! i totally missed out all the detail you pointed out. It's all obvious, but I was following the path of the kids running through the picture!

Yes it's true and we can still be happy that they have joy in the chase of the ball and yes, we must still salute the photographer!

Asher