• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Simple Pleasures: A collection of things I noticed when I was on my way

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I just leave this here:

Found in [REDACTED] in Munch.

Michael nagel said:
Asher
If this is a metaphor, what can it mean?
Does it need to be one?

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,

In fact, all language is made up from individual metaphors. That's all we have.

In art, the picture does not have to be a metaphor, of course. It can simply be a record of what someone might observe. Still, your picture is interesting enough to be amusing. More than that it has a message within it by the person who tied the string: "Please do not open this door, I wish to keep you out, even though you could easilly get rid of the string. I hope you will respect my inherently obvious wishes!"

At this point, your photograph has already worked its way beyond being merely a simple record of what one might see.

I merely wonder what else this might represent, such as the difference between what one can do and what one shouldn't do. After all you have shown a point of vulnerability in someone's attempt at some "defense" of privacy.

I would argue, that when one revisits this unusual photograph, it works to be more than humorous and can lead us to explore ideas of vulnerability of others.

So that is why I posed the question.

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,
At this point, your photograph has already worked its way beyond being merely a simple record of what one might see.

I merely wonder what else this might represent, such as the difference between what one can do and what one shouldn't do. After all you have shown a point of vulnerability in someone's attempt at some "defense" of privacy.
The title - Security Concept - already provides some guidance.

You can see it as an ill-fated attempt to achieve some security by someone who doesn't know better or - on the other end of the spectrum - security theatre.

All depends on your state of mind...

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Asher,

The title - Security Concept - already provides some guidance.

You can see it as an ill-fated attempt to achieve some security by someone who doesn't know better or - on the other end of the spectrum - security theatre.

All depends on your state of mind...

That's the beauty of art which is incompletely defined. Each time one visits one can find new meanings. That is what I believe some of the very best art does, it allows us to muse and so make new ideas possible.

Thanks again for sharing both your chance humerus find and giving us a reason to escape and use our imaginations.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Seen in a restaurant last Friday:

Michael,

I presume the was some other part of the sign that is either excluded or didn't switch on!

Such images may become part of your vintage lighting collection. Just for how long more will neon lights be made? LED lights are so inexpensive, but art wise, those glass tubes do have a special charm.

Asher

Michael Nagel

I presume the was some other part of the sign that is either excluded or didn't switch on!

Such images may become part of your vintage lighting collection. Just for how long more will neon lights be made? LED lights are so inexpensive, but art wise, those glass tubes do have a special charm.
It was the 'Happy' part of 'Happy Hour'.
It is the rearward reflection of the sign. The dotted line in the center is a reflection of LED lights.
If you look closer, you will see the reflection of some bottles behind the bar in the lower half of the picture.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

No. It would still be theft and I don't have the place either.

Well, Michael,

I have often rationalized that they would never reuse such downed signs but rather trash then instead. "Thus spoke my conscience!"

But I realized that my wife would not tolerate that coming into the house on top of the wind blown palm leaves I can't resist collecting!

Michael,

That is superb for a face! What a ? ? for a ?!

Looks like Thomas train set!

Asher